Can I modify bones as well as mesh with shape key?

Hello,
Can I modify a character’s bone as well as its mesh with a shape key?

For example, let’s say I have a character’s head and I want to create a mouth pose a smile. But in addition to moving the vertices of the mouth to make the smile, I also want the jawbone to rotate a little so that the mouth opens up a little bit when he smiles.

What is the best way to do this? Is it to create a shape key that modifies the mesh of the mouth as well as jaw bone? Or is there some other way?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Animas

Really, it’s not great to combine shapekeys with bones-- or to do so very carefully.

If you want to make a “shapekey” for an armature, that can be done with a pose or an action. You can even use “action” constraints although they seem really cumbersome to me.

You can also make bones track meshes, via various constraints targeting vertex groups, or targeting empties that have been vertex parented, meaning that if you really wanted, you could actually make a pose that was literally controlled by a shapekey value.

“you could actually make a pose that was literally controlled by a shapekey value.”

That sounds promising. So can the shape key value affect the vertices of the mesh as well as a bone? That would work… So basically, I should look up how to make a “pose”.

That is exactly what a shapekey is for-- affecting the vertices of a mesh.