Can I select an edge to break shading [NOT a shift-E ?]

Is it possible to set an edge as solid and still have the rest of an object as smooth?

I am trying to get more control over smoothing than what auto smooth allows.

If I recall correctly, you could make an edge in 2.37a.

(there is a similar function like this in C4D: Break Phong Shading)

Shft-E in Edit mode.

%<

Thanks for the tip, but I am not using SubSurfs.

Shift-E if used for the smoothing or sharpening of these edges.

My question is about the shaders that smooth a polygon object for rendering.

The auto smooth button will smooth edges with faces that are X-degrees apart from each other.

Is there a way to use the auto shader, but break the shading on certain edges to be ignored by the auto shader?

Or is there a way to set up shading manually by smoothing the entire object and just breaking the shading on the edges I want to see?

I’m not sure what you mean by smoothing an edge exactly, but you can use the Set Smooth and Set Solid buttons (F9 context) to selectively smooth faces.

I’m not sure what you mean by smoothing an edge exactly, but you can use the Set Smooth and Set Solid buttons (F9 context) to selectively smooth faces.

I have used this feature, but it doesn’t allow a single edge to stay sharp.

The red line represents where I would like to keep a sharp edge

http://www.geocities.com/calegatter/BreakEdge.JPG

If I smooth all, this edge is shaded as well.

If the angle between the left and right side of the red line is large enough, the auto smooth will take care of the shading break (will give a sharp apperance to this edge).

(The auto smooth does actually work in this case, but doesn’t give good results in all cases. Hence, this is the reason for my question and my desire to control it manually.)

Don’t know if this helps, but just break your object into two pieces

If you want a definative sharp edge , select the verts along the edge you want to be sharp and then press v then rmb so the verts are not moved, this is the rip command which will make two seperate edges but by not moving them the two edge will be in the exact same position. this will make you mesh smooth on both side of the edge but the edge will be sharp.

Of course, it’s the old “I’ve got an ugly seam down the middle of my head because I didn’t remove doubles” problem, in reverse! Nice solution Hazza.

The only solution i see is to duplicate the “Edgeline” that shoud be sharp (loop cut)
Select all faces between those two lines, and set them to Solid.
put both Lines to the Same Position.

Just tried it, it works…

I will have to give this a try. This way I can crease a solid mesh without breaking it up into pieces.

Thanks to all for the replies.