Can .py scripts be compiled and still work with Blender?

Just downloaded Blender 2.4 and trying to learn it, but I’ve noticed that the user interface, especially the file open window, is veeeeeery sloooow. Literally, it takes up to 10 seconds to react to a mouse move or click.

Is it possible to compile these python system scripts so that they run a bit faster (ok, a LOT faster) and have them still work with Blender? (If so, I’m surprised this wouldn’t have been done by default :-? )

Or, optionally, are there any plans to incorporate an OS-Native File Open/Save window? I’m betting that this would not be too difficult to do, and that it would be lightyears faster than the default one. No?

Russell

p.s. My system is 2.6Ghz and 512MB, so I don’t think that is the problem. and I have nothing running in the background of any consequence. WinXP Pro SP2

Are you talking about the F1 file open window?

(my psychotic powers warn of the presence of onboard graphics with sucky opengl driver)

Primarily, but the whole interface seems reeeeeally slow. I have other software that uses OpenGL with good speed (Realsoft 3D, for example has a much ridiculed but still very useful interface - I’ve grown used to it - that is quite a bit faster than Blender’s. Of course, I don’t think RS’s entire UI is using OpenGL, just the 3D viewports, and this may be part of the problem.).

Now, I read something in some Blender tutorial or something recently that made my hair stand on end: It implied that Blender is written in Python… If this is true, then that would explain the speed issues! I know it requires Python, which is fine as Python is quite useful as a scriptng language (I’d prefer java or javascript, but that’s my own preference), but I sure as heck hope it isn’t written in python, as it is an interpreted language.

Mind you, I’m still learning my way around Blender and going through the tutorials, so I haven’t passed any real judgement on it yet (I am, however, extremely impressed with its feature set so far as well as the documentation which is top notch). I only hope I can get to the bottom of the UI speed problems, because I would lose my patience pretty quickly waiting for things to react.

AFAIK I have the latest drivers for my card…

Anyone else having similar issues with UI speed?

Russell

Blender uses OpenGL for all its drawing, including the UI.

Blender is not written in Python.

Blender does not require Python.

Most slow UI problems are issues with ATI cards or on-board graphics. Good OpenGL drivers are important. Consider searching the other forums here for slow UI hints.

/me bites tongue over the idea of javascript as an embedded scripting language.

Are you sure it doesn’t require Python? Because before I installed Python, Blender would open a dos-type window giving some error and then quit. after installing python 2.4 everything’s fine (except UI, of course).

I know python has a large following, but I find javascript a much more logically laid-out language (from what I’ve seen so far, anyway) and it also seems to be a lot faster. Of course, the downside is that js is not available for all platforms…and it’s Microsoft :wink:

I do have an ATI card, so you may have a point there. However! The last version of Blender I used, version 2.37, had no such UI slowness problems (as do none of my other OGL programs).

Maybe if I can find a reasonably priced OGL card I will consider an upgrade.

Russell

Are you sure it doesn’t require Python?

Completely sure. The reason is because we build a Python interpreter into Blender. This is why it is so fussy about finding the right version for external modules.

Note: if you close that dosbox, Blender will exit.

but I find javascript a much more logically laid-out language

Javascript may be nice for doing web pages, but it is completely unsuited for embedding in an application. We chose Python because it is an object oriented, embeddable scripting langauge that is easily extended with C and runs on all platforms.

For your graphics card problems, try turning off anti-aliasing and/or reducing the number of colors. There are threads in the other forums devoted to exactly this topic.

Thanks for the reply and I’ll try looking for the gfx solution. If necessary, I can run the previous version, which I don’t think had any issues on my system.

Russell

p.s. Any idea when the User/Reference Guide(s) will be updated to the current version? The current one is one of the best I’ve seen, commercial or otherwise.