Can servo motion be used for rotation of object?

I am trying to make a pinball flipper. I tried using an action to make the flipper move, but it doesn’t calculate the physics very well because the flipper object is basically teleporting to the next frame in the animation which causes the ball to drop through the flipper sometimes instead of hitting it. I could use simple motion, but that would have the same effect. I haven’t really used servo motion before and I was looking at the servo actuator controls, but I can’t figure out how to make it rotate the object - or if it’s even possible.

So, is it possible to get rotation of an object using servo motion and if so, how is it done? If not, is there another way I could set up my flipper motion to get good physics calculations?

I do not think so.
In servo Motion you only get the linear velocities.

Its impossible. Angular velocity or angV is what you are looking for I think.

Thanks guys. I can use Angular Velocity to achieve the motion I’m looking for.

There’s still a problem though. The object has to be Dynamic (or Rigid Body), which causes it to be affected by gravity - so the object falls. I tried making it the child of an empty, but then the motion is constrained by the parent/child relationship. I can’t figure out how to get it to stay in place, but rotate as well. It’s probably something simple that I’ve overlooked. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Here’s an example .blend:
FlipperEnigma.blend (431 KB)

I use Actions. with the “Flipper” play type.
Then it can be static.

Or you could use constraints, but that would be harder.

Hey, thanks sdfgeoff! I set it up with an action and the flipper play type. It works like a “while keydown” script, which is exactly what I want. I guess I’ve never used the flipper play type before. I didn’t know it would be so easy to set it up. Who would’ve thought - use the flipper play type for a flipper :smiley: