Can someone explain to me the purpose of Blender Game Engine?

wow, scrapping BGE totally would be a huge mistake, I’ve not seen such tight integration with a 3dcc app and the game engine outside a AAA studio.

IMO the reason why I dabble with BGE.

if it’s scrapped from the master branch, what would be an option is to start a completely new game engine on github but with that tight blender integration.

the logics could be better, node based.

BGE make an offer that no 3d artist and game developer can refuse if he in the market for zero cost software . As aemartin said “tight blender integration” . This is what it makes BGE awesome the fact that you go back and forth between BGE and Blender effortless.

I predict that BGE will be around when Unity, Unreal engine and other top game engine are long gone alone because of that characteristic since Blender is the undisputed king of 3d open source apps. For many game developers on tight budgets and big fans of blender , BGE is a very good choice.

According to you the BGE is interesting for indie game developers. Do you have some references for that, preferably released titles? Or is that also part of the prediction?

Sure thousands of examples are around for those that possess the magic power of google. I myself am a google wizard of the 10th level.

This one of my favorites

Auntie Wiki is aware of two finished games: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_Game_Engine

Of course there are more than those, but I have absolutely no idea where thousands of examples could be found. I am not talking about prototypes, tests or anything that is unfinished. I am talking about released games thanks to which the developers can pay bills.

I think I have been crystal clear , “if he in the market for zero cost software” . A game developer that can make good money with his games of course he is going to invest on a more capable game engine because he is going to have a return from his investment.

The finished section of the game forum in this website has plenty of high quality games , that did not sell but none the less they have little to be envious about by other competitors that use top rated engines.

Its a never ending circle really if you are good enough to sell your art then people will be willing to buy it and you will be willing to invest in better software so you make better art and so more people will buy it and you be even more willing to invest in even more software etc etc. Investing into tools and improving skill is what brought the human race to what we are today.

BGE is far from being Unity , Unreal or whatever its a great choice for people starting out with game development and people that make their first professional steps into ther field. But I doubt that anyone would stick with BGE forever when there are better alternatives.

Things are a changing…

Hardware armature skinning is in the works, and people are making drag and drop templates for open world games…

I am adding resources (such as they are) for free almost every day :stuck_out_tongue:

I was not referring to zero cost software, but to developers with a tight budget. Because you were talking about budget, I expected you meant professionals which make games for a living, but don’t have a lot of money.

Ok, one of the reasons im using Unity3d is because i can export to Android and Ouya. The second is because the doc api have examples and there are a lot of tuts on the youtube with premade solutions on different game mechanics. So it saves me a lot of time thinking how to code certain gameplay feature. The Bge have a lot youtube tuts and examples, but you can only export to pc`s solutions. Thats all fine if you are going for Os Win, Mac, Linux. Well thats all i wanted to say.

You’re not going to find thousands of examples, but the new thumbnail functionality for the Finished Games forum should make it a lot easier to find quality examples of what can be done with the engine (at least for me it started to show good quality examples that I otherwise would’ve missed).

As for Android support, the changes made to the Blender GHOST module as a result of Viewport FX 3 should make it a lot easier to implement the backend required to get BGE games working on Android. Also, I hear that Tablet sales are starting to flatten out by quite a bit compare to PC’s (which might be important news to game developers as the larger screens are almost a must if you want to create any sort of competent interface, as even Candy Crush is prone to unintended moves on smaller smartphone or ‘phablet’ screens).

Also some of the newest tablets are x86?

The issue is less the architecture of the chips used and more getting things to run on Android using OpenGL ES for the graphics.

The Viewport FX 3 project should theoretically offer a good foundation as one of the features of its compatibility layer is OpenGL ES support (so we’re not just talking BGE games on Google Play, one could perhaps even see Blender itself on there).