Can someone fill me in on this game engine?

Hi. I just started learning Blender yesterday, and I’m doing pretty well so far. 3D modeling is one of the only things I’ve never been able to grasp on computers in the many years I’ve used them… until I found blender of course.

Anyway, I’ve been seeing a lot about the built in game engine… but I can’t seem to find exactly what it IS… Is it just a test console for testing your models in a game, or is it actually a full blown game development resource?

For example, could Blender’s game engine actually create a standalone game with all the bells and whistles you’d see in retail stores? Including things like multiplayer/LAN support, music, sound, file manipulation, etc.

There’s a reason I’m asking this… I found out about blender by researching Blitz3D… a 3D game programming engine built around the Basic language. That engine is $100, and doesn’t come with much community support… in fact, just to use the forums you have to buy the software first.

So, can someone please just let me know what Blender’s game engine actually is? I can’t believe I haven’t been able to find any solid information on it…

Thanks!
Adam

The game engine can (almost) create anything you can imagine. Though the graphics are generally limited, with innovation, innumerable things can be faked. Just recently a game in blender was released that supported online play. Just search the forums for Crescent Dawn Online. And if you want an idea of power, search for Transcendent, and Hellstation, two games that, in my opinion, could be sold commercially. I know I’ve left out a lot of great games, so look around the forums. I’m sure you’ll find some great tutorials and games. Also check out gameblender.org, a forum specifically dedicated to the game engine. And a word of advice: don’t ask anyone to make a game for you. Asking people to make your game is beyond annoying. Try and learn the engine and make new things. Besides that, help isn’t a problem. Ask plenty of questions. You should get a reply in a short amount of time.

If you want commercial quality then I would suggest you use OGRE or Crystalspace3d which are also open source and free. Crystalspace is also working on Crystalblend.

Thanks for all your help guys.

@blender_rox
I checked out all the games you mentioned… and they look pretty good. It looks like the engine does have a lot of power. I think I’m going to wait a while before trying to develop a game on it though, as it seems like there’s still a lot of things that are going to change with it. CrystalSpace’s website says they’re planning on changing Blender’s engine to use CrystalBlend in the near future. I wouldn’t want to be stuck with a bunch of incompatible source code in a few months. And just one more thing… I’d NEVER ask anyone to make a game for me… I’ve been writing my own games for a couple years now (2D only, though) and I enjoy doing it. That’s why I’m so interested in this. :slight_smile: I’m just ready to start working with 3D because 2D just simply doesn’t keep people happy anymore.

@Al_Capone
Thanks, I checked those out too. Once CrystalBlend is more polished and adapted into Blender, I might start using that. Both of those engines look good.

Anyhow… as I mentioned, I just started learning Blender yesterday, and I’m coming along good (all thanks to those rockin’ tutorials on wikimedia). So I’m not going to get ahead of myself. What I’m just going to do now is keep learning Blender, and eventually start working on character design. Once I have some content to work with, I’ll start focusing more on the programming part of it.

The advantage of the blender game engine is that it requires relatively little programming to make simple games. Look at this tutorial for example, no programming required. Of course, if you want to include more advanced aspects such as AI and network play, of course, you’re going to have to learn some programming.