Can you change the 3D view rotation pivot?

When I’m modelling up close to a model, is there any way to set the rotation pivot of the 3D view around the centre of the closeup objects? Say I’m modelling a thumb, it takes a bit of zooming, rotating and dollying to get round to the back of the thumb. Even if I was able to select the vertices I’m modelling and rotate around their median.

Does anyone know what the default rotation pivot is for the 3D view?

on my german keyboard it’s the comma of the num-block. english layouts use / i think. this will center your view on the selection - be it vertices or objects.

changing the rotation point [also used for scaling…] is on the 3d window header

but the period key on my keybaord [en-us qwerty] is for the 3d cursor
the comma key is for the median

now, if you mean to center the view on the selected verts, I don’t know of a single shortcut but you could do:
shift+s -> cursor to selection
press the C key to center view around the cursor

Yes, I meant the second one z3r0_d, thanks. It would have been nice to be able to do it in one step, though, like solmax’s suggestion. Those keys he mentioned don’t work for me and there isn’t an entry in the menu for centre view to selection.

I don’t suppose it matters much because I tend to stick to one area for a while so one extra key’s not much bother. Thank you very much, I was going mad trying to rotate around small parts of my model always zooming and dollying - that’ll save me a lot of time.

You guys do know about LocalView, right?

number pad / key?

yeah, but it is only for one object, not part of a mesh

woa wait a second dont you mean just numpad . ?
Maybe you said that…

changing the rotation point [also used for scaling…] is on the 3d window header

but the period key on my keybaord [en-us qwerty] is for the 3d cursor
the comma key is for the median

now, if you mean to center the view on the selected verts, I don’t know of a single shortcut but you could do:
shift+s -> cursor to selection
press the C key to center view around the cursor[/quote]

i said on the num-block. and yes, it works. i think on en-layouts its just not a “,” but a “.” . … funny just checked out the shortcut reference on blender.org and didn’t find it (which doesn’t alter the fact that it exists).

marin

I either hadn’t learned or didn’t remember the use of the period key on the number pad

[that could come in handy]

Aha, the numpad dot actually works for me too. It wasn’t before because I have a stupid laptop keyboard where you have to press an extra fn key to get it to work and I was pressing them in the wrong order. I was doing ctrl, fn - num-dot instead of fn, ctrl, num-dot.

I now just use the numpad lock whenever I need to use those keys. Thanks for that, that’ll be really handy.

I wish Blender had maybe a help dialog invoked by ? or something that gave a listing of all the hotkey bindings because I’m missing out on a lot of its functionality just by not knowing what keys do what. I know there’s a listing in the manual at the end but just for quickness it might be nice. I suppose the more I use Blender the more I’ll learn the keys but my memory’s not brilliant.

i’d suggest:

download the list, print it and hang it somewhere on your working space :slight_smile: