Can you regulate how many people can watch a movie from the couch? Yes you can.

I’ve heard of DRM, but this takes the concept almost all the way up to 11.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-patents-tech-that-watches-viewers-6399616

Apparently the theory is this, you purchase a TV with a built in camera, and then you purchase a movie with a special new type of license. The license says that your family of four are the only people who can legally view this copy, if you want to have a party or invite friends to watch it with you, you might have to purchase an additional party-license or upgrade to a more expensive one that allows 8 people in the room.

It may sound like something only seen in books and cartoons but this might become part of the future of digital media, as I said it’s not all the way to 11 yet, but who knows, we might see a requirement to implant a universal brain chip that regulates how we can play the movie in our head, how to talk about the movie, and whether or not we can dream about it.

Now of course some might respond with the predictable ‘Evil company’ mantra, but it will only become a surefire part of the future of digital media if the customer base itself treats it as some ho-hum non-issue that they can adjust to, what do you think?

I don’t think it will go that far, but who knows. I sure hope not.

Just imagine…

> People protest by not buying the equipment that contains this technology.
> Manufacturers get legislated to include it in all media equipment, thereby phasing out all non compliant ones and making it impossible to purchase a TV without it
> People are forced to turn the TV off, go outside and discover there is a world out there to play in.

At what point do we tell content producers to stick it where the sun don’t shine and force them to change they’re ways?

“The masses never revolt of their own accord, and they never revolt merely because they are oppressed. Indeed, so long as they are not permitted to have standards of comparison, they never even become aware that they are oppressed.”
― George Orwell, 1984

And while notions like this may be true to some extent, I can never help but feel like they are cop-outs and pseudo-social qualifiers as to why one shouldn’t bother. When ever someone pens astute observations like this, you can just hear the “Oh well, life sucks.” behind it. Is it apathy, ignorance or just me? Perhaps we will never be more than a colony of over sized ants.

hate to be conspiracy theorist, but this can also be used for other things too if they tap the camera’s. say, for example, privacy tapping.

As a rule, men worry more about what they can’t see than about what they can.
Julius Caesar

You show me 1 camera eye I’m not able to smash.

As gratifying as that sounds, it probably means the unit decides that no image = no license = no watchy movie.
Now, smash a thousand cameras, load 'em in a Uhaul truck and park it at the front door of the distribution company’s office and you have yourself a message. A very expensive one, mind you. Maybe it could be Kickstarted?:evilgrin:

I think i found one

Why you would by such movies?

Oh, the of ways companies think to make the extra buck. The consumers will obviously just pirate the movies in reaction to this license. That is if pirating is still possible when the cameras are constantly on you.