Candle Crisis

Alright. This is my first post here and I’ve only been playing around with Blender for about 3 months, but I have a five year old daughter and decided to put together a cartoon for her using blender for all the animation.

The lead character is a candle holder who realizes his candle is about to burn out. Without going in to full detail, it currently runs at about 5 minutes. Still a work in progress, but here is a frame render minus the candle and quite a few processing effects to allow for a decent render time.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2270/2132964696_aa3f6dc81f.jpg

Looks like a great idea. May I ask - Is the candle holder afraid of the dark?

That’s the general idea. It’s my very strange way of showing my daughter that there is nothing to be afraid of in the dark. It’s also a great way to learn more about Blender for me. I’m working completely in an open source environment which is also a challenge, but it’s coming together nicely.

wow for 3 months of using blender, that is some impressive brick there. Seems you’ve got your materials/textures down. Wish it clicked like that for me at the 3 month mark lol…I believe I was still trying to figure out how to have 2 or more colors on one object at my 3 month mark lol.

I’m far from being able to do anything serious in Blender. I’ve really tried to follow tutorials on the net, but the problem is that most of them are deprecated due to new features. A video tutorial user group would be a great resource for newcomers, as long as it could be updated with the regularity of a bran eating grandpa. :smiley: