candle flicker

just a little something I cooked up last night It is a candle flicker it looks pretty good in my opinion but if you sit there and watch it you can tell that it is a repeated loop and it took a little bt if work to complete but as I said it looks pretty dern good.

-Josh-

Attachments

candletest.blend (914 KB)

It is not working in 2.5

Ive never used 2.5? sorry.

Nice effect, did you just bake an animated texture?

PS 2.5 isn’t actually out yet. It’s not even in beta testing yet.

A few thoughts - I’d animate the lamps energy as well as it’s location values. Also, make your light orange, and give your candle an emit map. You need a flame as well. Here are a few I made for Ayleth. Not sure I’d suggest using animated light maps - if you ever use the candle in a game, you’d have to have animated light maps on everything in your scene. Easier to just animate a lamp. As far as the repetition goes, just use a long animation. I’ve got mine set up for 200 frames.

I put a light right above the candle and moved it in multiple spots and baked the shadow texture for each frame, then I moved all 6 of the images in to photoshop and put them all together in a x=4 y=6 imageI just copy and pasted it multiple times randomly then merged all of the layers, I then selected the black area with the color selecting tool Inverted the selection and blured it ever so slightly. after that I brought it in to blender and made it an animated texture much like the water animated texture but smaller.

edit: I also for each frame changed the brightness and contrast.

[quote=3dmedieval;1664587]A few thoughts - I’d animate the lamps energy as well as it’s location values. Also, make your light orange, and give your candle an emit map. You need a flame as well. Here are a few I made for Ayleth. Not sure I’d suggest using animated light maps - if you ever use the candle in a game, you’d have to have animated light maps on everything in your scene. Easier to just animate a lamp. As far as the repetition goes, just use a long animation. I’ve got mine set up for 200 frames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZohJsbZHvs&feature=channel[/quot

cool were did you get the flame? and how do you animate the energy? and no I really wouldn’t recommend using this tecnique mainly because it took a long time to do. but thanx 3d.

update changed light color added light and changed candle texture and model.

Attachments

candletest.blend (629 KB)

The technique I use is super easy. To animate the energy, just select the lamp, bring up the lamp’s panel, and place your mouse over the energy slider. Press “I”, insert key frame. You’ll figure it out from there. I use martinsh’s flame. Watch candles at night. In the absence of wind, they are fairly subtle. Animate the energy and location of the lamp, and then tweal the curves until it’s realistic. Use a long cycle to reduce the pattern effect. 200 frames or more. Doesn’t seem to affect frame rate in game. Try to match the amount of flicker to the movement of the flame. Tons of flicker on a slow moving flame looks odd. Use diffuse, emit and normal maps on your candle, and you’ll have a pretty nice setup. No offense to your technique, it’s just a bit over-engineered.

Martinsh’s flame. You’ll have to separate it from the file. All you need is the actual flame object. Nothing else. I use his torch fire in Ayleth as well. It’s the best out there. No idea how he does the things he does…

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=159006&highlight=martinsh+glsl+fire

thanx 3d but this dosent work on my computer, over-engineered is a good way to put it I was meerly puting an Idea out there for some one to expand apon.

No GLSL support? You don’t need it. That’s just for the normal and emit maps.

yes I have GLSL support It still wont work

What exactly won’t work?

sorry. it is a fragment shading error (not shure what that is) I have a NVIDIA GeForce 6200
the destorting dosent work

I have no idea what “distorting” is. Ok, well, I have tried here…really I have. Can you animate a light? Energy and location? That’s all it is. Nothing to do with whatever distortion is.

from what I can see he uses a distoring image to make the flicker. any way thanx alot 3d.

Who uses a distorting image? We are the only people talking here. Are you referring to the videos? They are mine. Ok, you don’t have to reply. I’ve just been trying to understand what you mean. I use an animated lamp. That’s all. No “distorted” image. No idea what a distorted image is.

Im talking about the actual destortion of the flame not the lamp.

Thanks for coming clean. That only took 5 posts or so…Not sure why people are in such a rush to post here. Please be specific when you post, or others won’t be able to help you. Simply saying “The light works but the candle flame itself does not” would have been short and clear. Sorry, I just run into this all the time.

thats cool Ill try harder next time. (theres no reason to get angry.)