Cannot extrude imported SVG

Hi all, I’m new to the forums and new to Blender, and indeed 3D itself.

The problem I’m having now is that when I import an SVG graphic (exported out of Adobe Illustrator CS), I am unable to extrude it and I don’t know why.

I was going through the user manual/wiki, and I was able to extrude the default cube by following the steps (get into edit mode, press “BKEY”, select top vertices, then press the “EKEY”, select “region” and drag out).

However, when I import my SVG, I will switch to edit mode, select the vertices and press the “EKEY”, but the menu never pops up to select “region/faces”, etc.

Even worse, whenever I import, the pink dot that is usually at the center of the 3D pointer always remains at the top left of the image, and when I try to extrude, it only extrudes from that point. I can’t seem to get rid of it.

Finally, when I inport the file…usually letters, one letter is always filled in.

When I make the text in Illustrator, I will delete the fill and stroke on the letters, leaving them as paths only. Then I export from there as a SVG file. Let’s say that the word is “TEST”. When I import it into Blender the “S” is black, while everything else has no color. Any idea why this happens?

Essentially I really just want to bring in text so I can extrude it and rotate it. Hopefully someone can figure out how to help me out here. Thanks.

-john

Can anyone make a suggestion? Thanks!

jgstyle,

I have used imported svg a couple of times. In general, the workflow I use is something like the following:

1. Import svg
    2)T ab into edit mode (this is not the same edit mode as with a cube, an imported svg is a type of curve, not a mesh)
  2. Select all
  3. In the “Curve Tools” panel, under “Convert”, click on Poly
  4. Tab out of edit mode
  5. Alt-C to convert the curve to a mesh
  6. Tab into edit mode (Now the same edit mode as basic cube)
  7. Select all, W key…remove doubles
  8. Extrude etc

Best of Luck !!

That was it, bro!! You are the man. Thanks!