Can't animate cutout image of wings and lower half of body

I was trying to follow Blender 2D Cut-Out Animation and am on the image binding part. I made sure to assign the vertex groups correctly to match each bone with each body part as much as I possibly can, the only bones I didn’t assign vertex groups to are the hips. I didn’t add any other vertex group besides the one that matched, like I only assigned left upper wing with upper-wing-l and nothing more. Each of the vertex groups have a weight of 1.

My bones

The bones I highlighted all work fine.

Try moving the left lower leg, upper leg or hip and it only moves the lower leg.

Try moving parts of the right leg, kind of works, but the foot’s warping.

Only moves the upper wing, not the lower wing.

If anyone has any idea what’s going on or if I need to post more information, thanks in advance. Rig file below.
ryuk-rig-broken.zip (1.5 MB)

Hey ! Welcome to blender artists !

So yeah, there are a lot of things going on here, so it’s not easy to get a working scene with a rig and everything else.

First, when setting an armature modifier, you shouldn’t add the vertex group in the modifier :
Leave that part blank. This shouldn’t make a difference in your case, but it’s a misuse of the modifier.

To make that part work, in edit mode select all the vertex and click assign in the vertex group panel :

Then in pose mode that should work.

This one doesn’t work well because one of the point/vertex of the mesh isn’t assigned to the vertex group ;

Good luck !

2 Likes

Thanks sozap for helping an amateur, I’m glad to be here, and yes, it’s quite a lot so I’ve been trying to hide the other stuff in the original project to just focus on the rig, fortunately folders exists. It works now, the issue was like you said, so I just went to all of the cut out images that weren’t working, making sure to select all the vertexes and then assign them to the correct vertex group. I have a feeling I’m going to have to make a thread asking for issues on the control rig when I get to it.

Actually though, I do have one more question,
looking from the top down it seems like the bones aren’t aligned. Pose mode is the same way, but edit mode it’s all aligned so the images and bones are on the same plane.

1 Like

Ok, if you don’t use constraints on bones , then you may just need to reset the bones transforms !
in pose mode, select all the bones and do Alt-G, Alt-R, Alt-S to reset location, rotation and scale !

Good luck !

1 Like

Thank you so much, that solved this other minor issue. :+1:

1 Like