Can't completely select vertices, python errors, pls help!

I am very new to Blender, but I can’t seem to get it to work properly for me, what am I missing? Please help.

I have downloaded and installed Blender version 2.37, I am running Win98SE operating system, and I cannot get the same behavior as described in the 1st tutorial on the Blender site:

specifically, when I try to select vertices, only the foreground ones are selected, no matter what I try, and I have attempted to follow the tutorial numerous times now, carefully following the instructions.

Additionally, I seem to have some errors displayed in my DOS window:
In MS-DOS window it says exactly:

Using Python version 2.3
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
No installed Python found.
Only built-in modules are available. Some scripts may not run.
Continuing happily.

Can anyone offer me some advice on how to fix these problems? I would greatly appreciate it

For the first you can hit Z to go into wireframe so that the verts at the back aren’t occluded. Or you can use Murphy’s button on the header bar. You need to be in Edit mode, in solid drawmode and you’ll see a button with a cube, second from left, the tooltip says “Limit selection to Visible”.

The second is a Warning not an error. It says: some Python scripts will be written to use the downloadable, full install of Python, and these may not work with out installing it. For the rest there are enough included Python modules in Blender to use them.

%<

yes, this is a new feature and the tutorial hasn’t been updated

you can either switch into wireframe view [z key], or disable zbuffered selection

don’t worry about that unless there is a script you want to run that you get errors with.

Thank you so much!
I figured it was something I was missing, or a change in versions, but with all the diferences with blender (like filenames) I began to think that various versions still available on the blender site might be respectively appropriate for OS versions… I was going a bit batty I must admit, lol…