Can't find fontmaps

I’m trying out 2.69 (from 2.59) and can’t seem to get fontmaps working. I’ve looked and fiddled with all the options I think could possibly be related, and even tried appending objects with fontmaps from previous project files and none of it is ether making the PNG display it’s transparency, or making text show up on screen.

How are you supposed to use font maps in 2.69?

I can’t believe none of you knew the answer to this question. Is there no one here that uses font maps?

I eventually found it in the Properties menu, mid way down on an object with a material.

alpha can be set in the material tab indeed.
if i am right font maps are used as always, but at 2.69+ you can use the text object itself to display text. load other fonts for that text object etc.

Don’t know if it’s changed recently, but when I played with text objects they always displayed on top of everything else, and caused lag loading the scene. On Intel Integrated cards that lag would sometimes cause the Blenderplayer to crash.

-edit-
Yep, still showing on top of everything else.

Hmm, never had that problem, i always use text object to show the text, its a long time ago that i used fontmaps.
so to be honest ive no clue if it creates lagg, but if it did they should have fixed it a long time ago.

//edit
always shows in front, you did move the text a bit back? if you place a plane over it you should not see the text, or you have set the z-index way to high.

always shows in front, you did move the text a bit back? if you place a plane over it you should not see the text, or you have set the z-index way to high.

I didn’t adjust any of the settings for it. I just threw it behind a texture and put some text in and it. Having to set the z-index every time would be irritating in the long run because I want to use it to show player names that will ultimately be running all over the place.

what about this simple setup? hit space to change the text, if you see it :wink:
(text hiding behind the plane)text_example.blend (466 KB) btw this is made in 2.74, but it’s the same as in 2.69

//edit
oh wait a minute, are you using it in an HUD/overlay scene? in that case yes it will always be on top.

That one seems to work as intended. Not sure why it’s not in my setup.

It’s a pity you weren’t around to reply 2 weeks ago when that would’ve solved the issue :frowning:

It’s a pity you weren’t around to reply 2 weeks ago when that would’ve solved the issue

Well, is it solved now? if so what was the problem? if you don’t now you can upload a demo file so we can take a look at what went wrong.

As I said in my second post, I eventually solved the problem myself by finding the fontmap settings. All I needed to know was where the little tickbox that made BGE treat it as a fontmap. I’m still surprised that no one seemed to know where that tick box was.

Your solution would’ve been a viable alternative, but it didn’t answer the original query. Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

I can tell you, that 90% of the people here knew exactly where to vind that option, but i think, like me, they didnt see this thread.
But i am glad that you have found the option :slight_smile:

or because of the misleading title, you can’t find fontmaps, while the real question is: where can i vind the transparency/alpha and or text option.