Can't find "unskinnable button" (very simple problem)

Hello. I’ve been doing some rigging tutorials, and I’ve found myself in situations where I have to set bones as unskinnable so they don’t deform any vertices. I’ve looked high and low in edit mode and pose mode, scrutinized the tutorial, and consulted the Blender manual, but I simply cannot find any allusion as to where the “unskinnable” button is. Could someone take a screenshot or something and show me? This is a stupid problem, I know…

Thanks. :slight_smile:

The tutorials that mention those buttons are old. You’ll find them in Blender 2.37 and earlier :slight_smile: Since deforming bones are associated with vertex groups, I never understood the purpose of the unskinnable bone (but I started with Blender 2.37 so it may have been a deprecated feature for backward compatibility).

Hum? That is odd… I thought the purpose of the unskinnable bone was for things like IK targets and action constraint bones… like if a mesh was rigged with “create from closest bones” so you wouldn’t have to deal with annoying things like IK targets controlling vertex groups that you didn’t need and such. Also they were mentioned in Gabio’s “animation workshop”. The wiki-tutorial database says that is “2.4+ explicit”. Are you sure about this? Or unsure…? I just thought it’d be a useful tool.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

It looks like instead of that “unskinnable” button we know have the “Deform” button. By turning it on and off, you can tell the bone whether or not to effect the mesh.

http://www.blenderprojects.com/calvin/deform.gif

Alright! Thanks, Calvin. :slight_smile:

I know what to do. This topic can be closed now.

Aaaahhh! I’ve always skinned manually - that’s why I’ve never used it :slight_smile: Thanks Calvin - and to Anayo for asking.