cant install 2.34 on mandrake 10 ce

I downloaded the following blender files:
blender-2.34-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386-static.tar.gz
blender-2.34-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386.tar.gz

I untarred both to /home and tried to run the blender file inside. No luck. It wont run. I have seen posts on this on few sites, but havent found a solution. Could anyone please give me some advice. I am a new linux user. I had it running with a previous version, but decided to upgrade because of the support for the wings import.
Thanks

Run blender from the command line and tell us what the error msg is.

My random guess is that you are missing the stdc++ lib.

Hi there, I copied the .blender to my home directory. I run it form command and get:
[[email protected] admin]$ ./blender
bash: ./blender: No such file or directory
Is this the right way to do it?

I have also cd into the folder where I untarred the files and this also doesnt work. If I miss some libraries what can I search for or where can I download it.
Thanks for your help.

Hi

in my opinion you’re doing some wrong actions

Try the thac’s Blender RPM here ( bottom of the page):
http://rpm.nyvalls.se/graphics10.0.html

Probably you’ll get Blender ready to use
Bye

It appears and if I understand correctly (ofcourse), that there isn’t any problem with Blender… The command line output simply says that it can’t find Blender’s “executable” in windoze terms… :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’ve copied just the .blender in your home directory, it is very logical not to work, because the .blender (note the dot in front) is a hidden directory containing some useful and cool things in it, but not the Blender’s binary itself…

Do an ‘ls -alF’ in the directory where you untarred Blender and see if there is a file called ‘blender’ (without the dot) in the list…

What you should do, is to copy the file called blender (without the dot in front :wink: ) into your home directory and then execute ./blender…

I hope that I understood correctly and that this is actually the solution to your problem…

OTO
Thanks for your advice. I downloaded the rpm from the site and will do the install later. I don have my mandrake cd with me today and it is asking for cd 2. Will try again tonight at home.

Timonides
Thanks for the reply. I think I am getting somewhere. I put the blender file(without the . ) in my home directory, got the following:
[[email protected] admin]$ ./blender
./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc+±libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[[email protected] admin]$

I am obviously missing something. Any advice would help. I am doing a search on google now for that.

Thanks

It seems I was correct in the first place… You were copying the wrong file allright… lol :stuck_out_tongue:

O.k. now you are encountering a new problem… You’re missing the compat-libstdc++ and compat-libstdc+±devel libraries…

I’ve got them from there:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm
and
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm

allthough I’m on Fedora core 2, those rpms could also work for Mandrake…

Nevertheless, you can allways do a googgle search for those libraries…

Open a console, login as root then type:
urpmi libstdc++2.10

:smiley: I am so happy. Its working now. Thanks to everyone that helped me. I must say I learned a bit with this little exercise. I needed libstdc++2.10 for mandrake 10 ce. If anyone struggles with this problem, download the rpm here:
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1176211/com/libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.64mdk.i586.rpm.html

Now I can also execute blender from where I untarred it. I doesnt have to be copied to home dir. It might sound like a stupid thing to professionals, but I learned from this a lot. At least when I double click the blender file it opens. :smiley:
Thanks again for the help.

Okay, I have tried everything in the previous thread and I am still having problems with blender3d and mandrake linux 10.1.

I have tried the following link and for some reason the rpm fails to install on my Mandrake 10.1

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/1176211/com/libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.64mdk.i586.rpm.html

The error posted I get when loading ./blender is:

./blender
‘import site’ failed; use -v for traceback
Xlib: extension “GLX” missing on display “:0.0”.
ERROR: Unable to open Blender window

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

If you have all the libraries already. Have you tried changing to the blender directory before you ./blender -w? For example at the prompt, I normally type:

cd blender-2.34-linux-glibc2.2.5-i386/
./blender -w

And this works for me on Mandrake 9.2.

Hello

I guess that you miss the accelerated 3d libraries
If you have a Geforce or ATI card you must install the official drivers
For other cards you need Mesa I guess

Does anyone know of a step-by-step tutorial on how to install Blender on linux?

Hello

installing Blender under Linux can be very easy, but depends on your Linux knowledge

First of all: have you an accelerated 3D graphics card running??? In most cases, an Nvidia or ATI card with the official drivers??? (to check try this: open a console or Xterm and type “glxgears”… if a little window opens with 3 crankwheels turning it’s a good news)

Now the easyest solution ( specially if you don’t know much about Linux) is to find a Blender RPM for your Linux distribution ( ex: Fedora, Mandrake…)
Do a WEB search ( ex: for Mandrake ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.mandrake.com/Mandrakelinux/devel/10.1/i586/media/contrib/blender-2.34-1mdk.i586.rpm

Normally now you’ve Blender installed and ready to run
Bye and good luck