Cant make render look realistic

pbr
materials
lighting
texturing
(The Guy) #1

I’ve been working on this scene for a while now, although some of the models have problems, right now I want to render it, but my problem is no matter how much I change the nodes I can’t get the render to look Realistic(Speciality the wall),
(Actual image)
any suggestions & guides would be appreciated.

0 Likes

(SterlingRoth) #2

Are you using filmic?

Try increasing the intensity of your lights, the gradient of light is a little too smooth.

0 Likes

(Lumpengnom) #3

You should probably read up on pbr rendering in general and reflectance, fresnel and rougness specifically.
These links are not specifically for Blender but the principles behind it are just the same:

https://www.allegorithmic.com/pbr-guide/

http://www.pbr-book.org

Here is a course for VRay which describes very detailed how this stuff works. I don´t know if it makes sense if you don´t have access to VRay but I can certainly say that it was game changing for me.
https://masteringcgi.com.au/course/mastering-vray/

0 Likes

(The Guy) #4

Thanks for the response,
It is set to filmic and I increased the intensity and decreased the radius of the light.

0 Likes

(The Guy) #5

Thanks, ill check them out.

0 Likes

(CYNIC78) #6

WHy so many people always do want to make realitic renders? I find stylized rednders more fun and eye-candy.

0 Likes

Your render is too clean. You need to dirty it up a bit to really capture that realism.

1 Like

(SterlingRoth) #8

Also, it looks like there is some ambient occlusion, the lighting doesn’t look like true GI.

0 Likes

(SterlingRoth) #9

Different strokes for different folks. 4/6 featured images right now are stylized.

There’s also a whole lot more paying work out there for realistic rendering than for stylized.

0 Likes

(Michael Jones) #10

I agree with miketche.

To achieve PBR, you will need texture maps with actual “colour, height,roughness, metallic and normal - information” … your materials look plain …almost like plastic. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(CarlG) #11

The corner of the wall needs a bevel. I agree the wall is a bit too “clean”. But its hard to judge without seeing the nodes and render settings.

0 Likes

(Lumpengnom) #12

No, you can make realistic images without dirt. In fact dirt would be the worst thing to do at this point because dirt masks the real problems.

The problem here is first and foremost incorrect reflectance. There doesn´t appear to be any kind of reflectance falloff at all. You can see that on the wood of the bed and the plastic hand rests of the chair for example. Same for the pen holders. You have allmost perfect grazing angles and theses objects don´t reflect a single bit.

0 Likes

(pixelgrip) #13

the red shelf and the red “glass” on the table are too saturated vs the foto.in real world all edges like table plate ect are beveled,nothing is razor sharp.
maybe you know your light bulb type and use a similar IES light for a better light cone.
your foto is a bit blurry,is that a fine woodship wallpaper,or is this that flat?for woodship try a fine bumpmap/displacement.

a wallpaint color can be very shiny reflective to very rough diffuse.usally woodship wallpaper are painted with a allmost diffuse paint,but is has a lite shiny reflection to it.
latex color for example are very reflective near a coating.

for compositing,use a very subtle chromatic aberration.every camera lens has it even human eyes have it.

here the euro norm 13300 classification of gloss.these four types you found on the painting bucket in europe if you buy one.

0 Likes

(The Guy) #14

Thanks for all the replies, ill come back with a better render with improving my knowladge for PBR from the links and photos that you provided.

0 Likes