Can't save presets: "*Missing paths*"

I think Blender’s trying to tell me I did something wrong when setting it up, but I can’t figure out what.

Every drop down that would let me save presets (eg: OBJ save) says Missing paths and when I try to save a profile, I may be prompetd for a name, but nothing ever changes.

No errors are written to the Blender console when I try to save. I’m mystified.

I’m using Blender 2.56, built last week for Windows 64 bit. My OS is Windows 7, it does this regardless of whether I run it with elevated privelages or not. I run Blender by just double clicking on the .exe

I presume it wants some sort of path somewhere to some kind of config file, but I can’t for the life of of me find out where.

I tried creating a .blender folder in my user profile (to go with the .gimp, .purple, and other cross-platform programs’ settings folders) but no dice - it writes nothing there. I also created a .blender folder in the blender program folder itself, but no dice. It writes nothing THERE either.

Baffled! :eek:

I suppose I should note: I just unzipped the package from graphicall to H:\Blender\blender-2.56-35350-win64 - everything else is working (Even pylux) and I can change the default UI settings, default scene, etc. Just not the dang obj export presets or anything else with one of those little dropdown boxes.

Hi Syndaryl,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I am having the same issue and could use some help.

Nuffin. I’ve got a brand new .57 build on a completely different computer (Ubuntu 10.10 instead of windows 7, not even the same HDD) and it’s still doing it. I’m mystified.

I am on OS X 10.6.7 using blender 2.57b and I am having the exact same problem.

So far I have tried to loosen directory permission restrictions inside the blender directory hierarchy but I have not had any luck.

Also I do have an .blender dir inside my home folder as well.
But that folder doesn’t seem to get used any more.

I think I have a solution:

In bpy_types.py around line 744 is where the message “* Missing Paths *” is encountered.
It says that if the variable searchpaths is not set, it should abort reading in preset dirs and instead display that string.

So then I looked through my prefs in the File tab if there is a field for searchpaths and the only thing that came close was the Scripts field.

To know which value to set it to I eavesdropped on blender, monitoring which directories it was opening and I found the prefs path “/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.57/scripts/presets/<addon_name>”, so in my case setting the Scripts field to “/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.57/scripts” makes my saved presets appear for me instead of “* Missing Paths *”.

The prefs path is for OS X, so on Windows you need to find the equivalent dir.
I would start to look in %APPDATA%.

One of the advantages of open source software :slight_smile: