Can't See Material IPOs (but they're there!)

Say I have a material and apply a procedural texture such as clouds which I want to animate by altering ofsX, ofsY, size Z etc over time. In the material’s IPO window I can draw the curves no problem and the animation will work fine. But…(you knew this was coming, didn’t you?) manual drawing seems to be the only way I can get the curves to show up. So for example if I want to re-use the material in a different project and append it to the new project, the curves don’t show up in the IPO window, but the texture still animates OK. Or if I try to insert a key by hovering the cursor over the material buttons, pressing I and selecting say Ofs or Size, nothing happens. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

switch Ipo display from Object to Material. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Ipo_Types

I’m using the material IPO display, and whilst it shows manually drawn curves fine (so I know I’m in the correct display), I can’t get it to show appended IPOs or insert keys.

Aha: many thanks for the link to the manual. I found something I’d missed previously: selecting the right channel (duh!). Doesn’t seem to automatically switch when appending a material, but changing it manually works fine. Easy when you know how: thanks!