Canva buys Affinity

Crap, I guess the time is near to repeat that painstaking process of transitioning from one app suite to another.

1 Like

Ha! Joke’s on you, Affinity! I never got around learning Photo and Designer really well in the first place!
*twirls moustace

3 Likes

I recently started to look into Inkscape again, mainly because I don’t really use Illustrator that much these days, so switching to another paid app was not a consideration, and this channel has been really helpful for the transition.
https://www.youtube.com/@LogosByNick/videos

6 Likes

We share Affinity’s belief that professional design software should be intuitive, affordable, fast, and smooth. With Affinity, professional designers have access to everything they need at an affordable price and without the complexity of traditional design tools. Together, we’re excited to turn their movement into a revolution.

https://www.canva.com/newsroom/news/affinity/

Currently I try to ignore that they are just cloudbased and hope that its not always history repeating.

1 Like

Canva’s current business isn’t built around professional designers - it’s the opposite: people who aren’t designers, whose skills are limited to drag, drop, and download.

They’ll simply take Affinity and double their efforts to become the next Wix.

8 Likes

Dunno. I’m not sure what their real intent is, but in principle if you buy a company you dont have to kill everything it stands for to use parts of its technology in other products you have.

And if they want to put into some collab stuff as an additional service I could live with it aswell.

You really wish GIMP was better…
GIMP 2.99.18 Released: The Last Development Preview Before 3.0! - GIMP

Download the preview and bang around on it to help the team ensure version 3 can be as stable as possible.

If all you need is a basic post-pro app. for things like images made in Blender, then it is not bad actually. It has gotten a lot better for non-advanced tasks since the committing of GEGL and the UI by default no longer being that multi-window mess for geeks.

5 Likes

Well, I think it may take a little longer, so lets go with: August 12th 2025.

2 Likes

The killing part may just be a byproduct. In their last paragraphs they talk about acquiring the team and the tech and bringing those two into the fold of Canva’s portfolio. If they talk about powering 175 million amateurs and that is their core business, catering to only 3 million affinity users may be of no interest to them.

They could also keep Affinity going, as the test bed for the tech, as long as the overheads are covered by selling the “affordable” software. That being said, “affordable” could be a couple of bucks bellow Adobe, via subscription.

2 Likes

They bring with them a 90 person team from Affinity… for now. Next quarter, those are the first people to go in the next round of layoffs

7 Likes

No, no, no… there’s no such thing as layoffs… its ‘restructuring’…

Just like you never get a letter about Price Increases… they are always Price Changes (the fact the change is always upwards is purely coincidental).

9 Likes

Yeah, Canva and professional designers don’t seem to be a pair of words I expect to be together. The only reason I’m using Canva is to create a presentation because their layout and grid tools are better than Google Slides, while still using Af Designer for the initial design and layout, that’s all.

I hope that doesn’t make me an “amateur designer” :joy:

Maybe it’s a sign…

2 Likes

I stand corrected. I’ve never been laid off, only restructured :wink: Going to start telling job interviewers I was the victim of “righting the corporate ship in a new, profitable direction”

10 Likes

surprised_pikachu_face.jpg

2 Likes

I’m fcking angry and furious.
I was always cautious about Serif, that someday they would be sold to someone, I was betting and scared that it would be Autodesk.
So they made low-priced software to gain some big base of suckers like me. It was planned from beginning (of Desinger product, 2014), they made a strategy to make company more interesting to sold in the future.

Now, after acquisition they (Serif owners) know what Canva would do with them. They know right now that in a year there will be V3 with AI-tools and with only-subscription model. I guess that there’s no straight answers from them because NDA.

Is it really hard to maintain company with profit and with fair model? Like, maybe even with subscription but also with perpetual, without version locking? (fck u Autodesk & Graphisoft).

3 Likes

Well we’ll see. This is all tinted by the maxon pixologic drama IMO. I see what you mean and yeah it could turn out to be like that, but it really doesnt have to be the case. Same is true for their employees, the code also doesnt magically have a use by its own. They need quite a percentage of the employees to make use of it. And part of the buyout value might lie in the companies current and predicted success. Overall its a tad too trendy to be pessimistic and negative about every single news.

2 Likes

It could be worse- V2 still works, no subscription. Existing users are probably going to be cut off from new updates, but they can’t legally take away the software I’ve already purchased under a legally binding ToS agreement. They’re certainly welcome to try- I’d love nothing more than for Canva to buy me a house after getting blasted by a federal circuit judge- but they won’t. It’s not worth the risk for any company to do that with an established precedent

6 Likes

Most likely, they’ll email you several times a quarter with a new attractive offer to upgrade your permanent license to a new subscription with a lovely discount introductory offer.

4 Likes

No doubt, but I’m a big boy, I can set up email filters and send it straight to spam :wink:

5 Likes

Uuuggghhh… What the ‘bleep’
How to ruin my day dude… :weary:

Now we have to wait for the ‘we keep everything the same and your license is yours forever’ talks. To be taken away with v3.

3 Likes