Canyon flight (yet another starcraft scene)

Had something like this in mind for a while now…
The plan is simple - midnight setup, some dropships flying through a canyon of sorts…
Anyways, worked on this for a few hours (sculpting turned out to be surprisingly easy way to do terrain) and, well… check below the render :slight_smile:
It already has some nodework (the glow effect, the moon looks bad w/o it but it still needs some loving), otherwise the base terrain is mostly finished (got a little bit more to do but it’s in the dark (there be monsters ^^ ), the water might get some tweaking (also gotta add a waterfall, explore the right side of the canyon and you’ll notice the spot) but otherwise it’s going to stay as it is. Well that is if I don’t get brave again and try to do something like the dropship flying really close to the water at high speed but I don’t think I’ll be able to do that (on the other hand that might be a perfect oppotunity to learn the fluid simulator) :smiley:
The lighting - it’s damn simple at the moment… I’ve got a possible concept in mind involving some lights in the canyon and a blast door/structures on the left side of it to indicate that there’s a base there (sort of like ironforge from world of warcraft if you know what I mean, just made the comparison btw)… Or maybe just add the battlecruiser to the fray and make him use spotlights (don’t worry, that’s a last resort ^
^). Otherwise the canyon is a little bit too dark for my taste… (AO is unusually high, I’m aware of this :slight_smile: )
About the craft that’s going to be flying through:
Wikia page
Blizzard render

Probably going to feature 2-3 of these…

C&C welcome :slight_smile:

Attachments

i like the black on black it gives a nice effect

I guess the canyon is just about finished… (knowing myself there’s a good chance that it’s going to change again tho :smiley: ) Also started working on the dropship but the only thing that’s semi complete is the cockpit, also no details whatsoever…
Anyways the sky is just a placeholder right now… Not sure if it’s going to stay a night scene or I’m going to make it a day scene (those angmaps are awesome ^_^). The lighting still needs some work. About the concepts I mentioned earlier - 1st I’m going to finish the dropships and then see how things turn out :slight_smile:
Anyways, C&C appreciated :slight_smile:

Attachments

Wow, I’m actually still working on this one :slight_smile:
Anyways, a minor change to the lighting (using area light now, why didn’t I do that earlier). Also the base of the dropship model is almost complete, I hope that I’ll be able to finish it within two days (or one, depends on some real life stuff plus how I feel about modeling).
The materials on the dropship are by no means final right now, it’s just a test material (no decals whatsoever, a small bump map that is barely noticeable, unfinished mirror).
About the shot with the two unfinished dropships - I sort of made this just for the heck of it… They’re going to be facing the other way around anyways :slight_smile:

C&C welcome :slight_smile:

Attachments

looks very cool!

awesome :slight_smile:
have you tried a hemi light?

Small problem with it - no shadows :slight_smile:
Now I’m just wondering what does it take to work at blizzard (srsly not the stuff that they post in their job faqs :slight_smile: ) (bet I’m pretty far away from their standard :smiley: )
Anyways kinda just woke up so… got 3 hours to do some blending and I gtg :slight_smile: