car modeling teqnique

Im modeling this car, at least i will. Like everyone is modeling f1s these days, so i though i could make a creation myself. But what modeling teqnique do u use, nurbs or subsurf?

Which car?

For modelling, I tend not to use either.

If YKWYAD (You Know What You Are Doing) you can make a beveled mesh from the beginning. But, when the need to chose arises SubSurf is my preferred option.

Stefano

I havent seriously started modeling it yet. I tried just now using subsurf, but it looked kinda weired, so i just wanted to hear if subsurf was good for car modeling. So ill try again then, for fun. :slight_smile:

I typically go like this:

1. insert plane ADD>MESH>PLANE
  2. Delete 3 points
  3. Extrude the remaining point around the profile of the car and do this across the whole body.
  4. Join the verts to get faces
  5. tweak verts and then hit the subsurf button
  6. then tweak some more
  7. bevel, bevel, bevel and then bevel some more
  8. Render, tweak, bevel, render…

Car modelling is fun, but can be a pain in the arse as well.

BgDM

BgDM wrote:

1. bevel, bevel, bevel and then bevel some more

ok dumb question, what do you mean by bevel :-?

thanks

lilo

To Bevel is the Fine Art of making smooth rounded edges and corners like you see almost everywhere in reality.

Sharp edges are a teorethical abstraction

Stefano

typical. S68 always tries to confuse the confuse some more. :wink:

S68 said

To Bevel is the Fine Art of making smooth rounded edges and corners like you see almost everywhere in reality.

so is this basically subdividing the mesh, or is this tweaking individual verts :-?

or… am I missing the whole idea :frowning:

thanks

lilo

There are several techniques,
one is described here http://www.selleri.org/Blender/tuts/BevelWithKnife.pdf

other ways uses SubSurf.

I definitely have to write a tut on that too…

Stefano

When you have a 90 degree corner there are three lines of edges (loops) that define that edge. Now when you hit subsurf the rounding of that sharp edge is determined by the spacing of those lines - the relative distance between them. You can better control the shape of the final subsurfed edge by either dragging the two outer edges towards the center one or adding two (or multiples of two) extra edges between the center line and the two outer lines. The closer those lines are to the center one the more sharp (defined) the bend will be, without it being a 90 degree knife-edge.

%<

Uh, stupid question follows. What is tweak? Is it some modeling term? My dictionary is just as stupid as I am. :expressionless:

An another thing as well. It is quite logical that nurbs curve and circle are nurbs, but I have also got the impression that everything under ADD -> SURFACE is nurbs as well. Is this correct?

And I have been checking some tuts, and it seems like there are quite a few ways to model cars. :o Now lets check out bevels. Over and out.

subsurf!! subsurf!! :expressionless:

BgDM, I hope I am reading you wrong… you DO know that you can select your single vert then hold the Ctrl key and right-click to add more verts, yes? Your statment reads like you are using the E-key extrude.

I mostly use subsurf.

To make the edges smooth (bevel them) I subdivide them and then use the smooth comand hundreds of times.

Fligh% wrote:

When you have a 90 degree corner there are three lines of edges (loops) that define that edge. Now when you hit subsurf the rounding of that sharp edge is determined by the spacing of those lines - the relative distance between them. You can better control the shape of the final subsurfed edge by either dragging the two outer edges towards the center one or adding two (or multiples of two) extra edges between the center line and the two outer lines. The closer those lines are to the center one the more sharp (defined) the bend will be, without it being a 90 degree knife-edge.

if I make a cube, and use subsurf, it reverts to a round shape. Can you please explain what you mean by " there are three lines that define an edge"??

I guess my question is how do you round over one edge of a cube?

thanks

lilo

Yeah, I use the “E” key and extrude. Just habit. I know you can just right click to add another one. I just prefer to use the extrude function because then I can just place the new vert where I want. Just my way of doing it.

BgDM

I have been looking at a car, a nissan, where i downloaded the blend file from http://digilander.libero.it/pafurijaz/.
So if i create a cube and extrudes it to a long cube, and subsurfs it, it just looks like a freakin hot dog. But the guy from the site mentioned above have used subsurf but the shape inside the polys is almost touching the polys. So this way he can create sharper corners, but still smooth. It looks more natural, when the subsurfed shape fills more up. How can u do that???

Are you sure you just don’t want to admit you didn’t know that one? :smiley:

tweak = make minor adjustments / fiddle.

BgDM & CurtiS

I prefear to extrude too, then I’m sure I can go exactly horizontal or vertical if I want :slight_smile:

lilo

To make a beveled cube with subsurf you must make ALL 6 faces look like this:

+-+----------+-+
| |          | |
+-+----------+-+
| |          | |
| |          | |
| |          | |
| |          | |
+-+----------+-+
| |          | |
+-+----------+-+

‘+’ ar vertices ‘+’ and ‘|’ edges. That is any face is made by 9 faces, 4 smal squares, one big square and four elongated rectangle.

Do this, and then press subsurf :wink:

Stefano