Carcassonne Medieval city

the terrain comes from a japanese elevation database and imported and reworked into unity3D.

Here’s the later tower:
the chapel tower.

It’s a quite simple tower that is made from the end of a chapel built in the castle courtyard.
today the chapel has disappeared but the tower is still there :slight_smile:

I guess i’ll be some day without posting here, as i appear to have some PC stability problem.
I need to backup all that i can and try to find the cure…
See you soon :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Hi. I ran the Kleioscope and had a walk around the battlements, etc. The computer is 7 years old and I think nvidia graphic card 565.

The frame rate did not seem adjustable in Kleioscope and the frame rate was about 400 to 500 at times with the fan sounding like a turbo jet. I could probably set the vert sync to 60 in the nvidia settings.

Only mentioned but not important. Windows 7 support ends 12 Jan 2020 in a few weeks and I have a ordered a new desktop computer with windows 10.
P.S. vertsync altered in nvidia panel no luck.

B

Yes it’s on purpose. I use to throw away avery bottleneck including the VBlank. Therefore your CPU and GPU run at their optimum.

I use to do this to perfectly know the real scene render time.

Of course this is not acceptable in real life but please keep in mind all this is just a pre-pre-pre-alpha that is not even finished in 3D :wink:

Here i dev with win 7. win8 or win10 are still too boring and messy for me and the kernel of win 10 is still the same as win 7 ( say 90% ) therefore compatibility issue have low chances…
Even if i don’t care support end on a stable running OS, i know i’ll have to get some win8 and 10 for tests… a cheap laptop is the perfect solution for this :wink:

happy blending !

Thanks for post. I think I will give it a miss though until ‘normal sevice is resumed’. So down with the portcullis and up with the drawbridge (smile). Your posts might even encourage me to remake my humble Conway castle North Wales.

I won’t clog up your thread, but it will grow and grow and grow until it’s 10 miles long (wink and smile).
P.S I can always test maybe on my new computer, should come this week, but frame rates would have to be about 60 vert sync.
P.P.S. Was there any channel/river/canal from the sea up to Carcassonne for supplies etc, in mediaeval times?

Thanks Barry

Hey @barrymaritime

1st of all i have to report my delusions…
My PC was dying !
Ryzen 7 and DDR4… am this stoopid ( yes i used to build PCs with fingers full of fat from pizzas and dust coming from… errrr… others old PCs :rofl: )
I have now to learn that when you build a gigaHertz machine, latex gloves are mandatory :confused:

Now, i ‘gummed’ the oxyd on my DIMM ram sticks… fully checked the disk, stress-tested the RAM all night long and all is back perfect :slight_smile:

Now i can go on ( useless to say i set up a backup system and procedure that allows now my machine to disappear in flames :stuck_out_tongue:

—>…
what ?
What dyou talk about ?

The Conway castle ???
do you mean the Conwy castle ???
Oh yes please go on with it ^^

And create a thread from it !
this one deserve a full line topic for the WIP and the result !
BGE, unity, UDK, cry, whatever, show screens and give to old stones lovers, bliss and pleasure :wink:

nah you clog nothing. The more people see those things, better it is :wink:

Yes it will be miles long… obviously but on the long run we’ll find our real followers ( lil wink to @dan_wipf :stuck_out_tongue: )
I got no idea of what all this will become but the simple idea that some persons like it makes me willing to go ahead ( i believe it’s kinda human ) even if those thousand hours of work cannot expect any cent ^^
I wish it would but years tought me to await for nothing but people pleasure. This is now my bliss, even if creds and money could bring all this far upper.
As an example i would take ( in a humble way ) Paris… 1790… Ubi-Soft… 9Mil euros of investment ( from what i red ) The result ? geeeeezzzz
A damn fucking awesome rebuild of Paris in those times…
The game is a shit
The visit is dream !

Humbly i dream of making Carcassonne ( and many many other France cityes ) as magic as Paris can be in Assassin’s Creed Unity.
I began to model past places long before Ubi-Soft but with no means at all things go slow and sometimes in the wrong way.
But… I never left the challenge… Paris is done… by you moter-focers… And you did the best !!!
Lemmy give a try on Carcassonne !

And you @barrymaritime… give a try on Conwy Castle ( if we talk about the same Castle :stuck_out_tongue: )

Back to Carcassonne… hmmm I gonna try to allow user to sync on its 30 or 60 frames pers second refresh…
If some people start to discover it, i think i have to think about more than I :smiley: lol

gimme some few days and i be back…
A new win/droid version will be available, with VBlank wait :wink:

Seeyou soon and please… gimme a PM when you get back to Conwy !!! I wanna take peeks in it :stuck_out_tongue:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Thanks for posts. All my work is basic as never did learn how to render. Only have a screenshot as deleted castle while ago (Conwy is welsh spellling) .

I will try a link to image.
https://blenderartists.org/uploads/default/original/4X/3/6/4/364585168ea22777c5954a56ad4460c270f69bed.jpg

Seems to work. If it clogs up your thread just mention and will delete it.
Thanks
Barry

Nice building @barrymaritime :slight_smile:

Next element of Carcassonne is one wall on the north of the castle:

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

1 Like

quick clay render of the next building: The tower of the degree.

Textures incoming :wink:

Happy blending !

1 Like

and there it is :slight_smile:

It is a quite simple tower protecting the north wall of the castle. When you visit the castle walls, you pass through the upper room of this tower.

Its name ( tower of the degree ) surely comes from the fact that in old days there was a ‘degree’ leaning on it’s inner face.
In old french a’degree’ is the other name for a staircase…

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

1 Like

i indeed do like it! the shape it takes is so great! how much percent of the buildings, not interrior are finished?

you cannot imagine how happy it makes me that you like this work @dan_wipf ! :slight_smile:

today, i’d say… 97% approx.
here’s what is done:

Things in pale white ( the east side of the castle ) are still to be done:

• 3 towers
  • 4 walls
  • 1 gate
  • 1 huge barbicane
  • 1 bridge

Next will come the castle staves and after this am not sure wether i model the cathedral or the houses/streets…

Happy blending :slight_smile:

1 Like

here are some views… global views.

I wish they were more sexy and complete, but as you all know, modeling fine detail while showing the whole scene, often give deceiving results…
Anyway here are the shots:

… more to come from blender :stuck_out_tongue:

and also the artstation place: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdWQa5

happy blending !

3 Likes

That is a nice walled town. We have a few in England, York, Chester, Conwy, but not as large as Carcassonne.
I wonder when it will get an animated portcullis and drawbridge?
(wink,smile). Barry

1 Like

thanks @barrymaritime :slight_smile:

for the drawbrige you’ll have to wait a bit that i model the 14° century, as nowadays there’s none in the city :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a lil render of the western face of the castle:

and 2 close-up: clay and textured.

hope you like it :slight_smile:

happy blending !

4 Likes

Post moved by request/

A simple wall right after the tower of the degree and before the tower of the major that is coming soon :slight_smile:

happy blending !

1 Like

Copied and reposted. At least it opens as new field for discussion.
Hope that works right.
Barry

1 Like

Thanks a lot barry :slight_smile:

here’s the clay render of the tower of the major.
I scorched it a bit so that the spinning staircase can be seen :wink:

Textures coming soon…

Happy blending !

Here is this tower with textures :slight_smile:

It’s been a bit longer to texture because of the spinning staircase :wink:

Hope you like it !

Happy blending

1 Like