Carcassonne

Very interesting project. I’m looking forward to following this one.

1 Like

hey @Mark06GT :slight_smile:

i’m glad you like what i do !

All this is a WIP and still needs thousands hours of work x))

but time passing make some new parts of this unique in the world marvelous city available for visit.

I know it’s not yet a sexy place to go when you move around with the premature FPS app but it’s a peek in what it will be in the future.

If you feel like it, just download the win app or the android app ( sorry but the nux app just don’t work because nux mouse is messed up in unity :confused: ) and just have a walk between the walls of this multi-centuries medieval town ^^
And gimme your sight and opinion. Am alone on this and need advices and criticism !

Anyway, thanks for your interrest in all this ! i need legions like you :wink:

regards and…
Happy blending !

1 Like

hi :slight_smile:

Here are some few renders from blender, with shy fog for all those liking blender.
You can see all that is done so far…

Here’s the ArtStation page: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VdWQa5

Hope you like it :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

2 Likes

your are indeed busy yhese days! keeup the work!

1 Like

hi @dan_wipf :slight_smile:

Indeed i am…
It’s time for this project to be shown and get some contacts with people interrested in what it can offer :slight_smile:

Time has come for it to be shown.

I just hope ppl will like it just like you do !

I also want to thank you for following me since several months and i also thank the new ppl following what i do. It sincerely gives me courage and will to go further, even if things go slow.

Thanks to all !!! regards and happy blending ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question …
In Italian “carcassa” has a double meaning is the body of a dead animal (also of man) and is also used to indicate some very old and battered container … in this case, in the modern era it is used for old cars … to make jokes “this car is a carcass” is something to say that it is old and dying and badly conditions.
I know little about this place, but I was intrigued by the name … where evidently it has a strong assent with the descriptions I have exposed … do you know the origins of the name, this place has always had this name?

in particular carcassone, in Italian it is a very large box or something similar …

2 Likes

Nice to see you’re interrested in the origin of this name @amon_paike :slight_smile:

As italian, french ans spanish languages have the same roots ( latin coming from the Ancient Rome ) it appears ( i don’t know for spanish language ) that in French ’ une carcasse’ is just like you describe it: a rotting animal ( or human ) corpse. And just like in Italian, it also describes a ‘rotting’ :smiley: old car…
In French it also describes an old useless container, just like a PC box without its motherboard, disks and power supply…
I can guess that Spanish language has the same kind of phonetics for describing all those things but i don’t know more about it…

Back to what we’re interrested in, Carcassonne has nothing related to all those things :slight_smile:
Here’s what i know, thought it sounds more like a tale than a real history…

In older centuries, The city was taken by Moors. They were arabic people who conquished the south-western part of France and occupied all its strongholds like Carcassonne.

In this times ( when the French king ‘Charlemagne’ was pissed off with all those stranger eating his land ) The Carcassonne medieval city was occupied by a ‘mayor’ ( i don’t know the right word for those times: 700-800 BC ) who had a woman as a steward.
This woman who was called Carcass saw the king armies coming to the city to take it back.
During the siege, she fed a pig again again and again so that it became fat and ‘ready for food’, and threw it from the citywalls to the king’s army camp, just as a common projectile…

The king seeing that the city had nothing more to throw for killing enemies, than fat pigs said okay… If they throw this, we are not ready to starve them…
Then the king took his army and went away.

The city was saved by this woman: ‘Dame Carcass’ who then climbed on the higher tower and ringed the horn.

In French, ringing is translated as ‘sonner’.
This is the tale giving the name of Carcass Lady ringing the horn: ‘Carcass sonne’… Carcassonne…
:slight_smile:

I sincerely don’t know wether this city always hgad the same name.
I know it is built over an old roman villa ( as we still have some roman mosaic in there ) and also that an oppidum wich appears to be the former roman army place ( the famous Augusta Legion ), was located some hundreds of meters towards the west…

Cascassonne archives have burn twice during the history and it’s hard to say things that can be definetely validated…

But here’s a statue… of Dame Carcass at the most important entrance of the city:

Anyway… If you don’t know this place, i invite you to get to france and visit it ! :smiley:
There are some places like those… Venice, Roma, Firenze ( all in Italy ) that you visit and can die after… Carcassonne is one of them.

But if you can’t move to France, you can at least donload my app ( android, win, webgl ( wich is crappy ) ) and have a walk in the place. My bet is that you won’t resist the need to see it in real :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a nice evening and happy blending !

1 Like

Not only the Romans (the part of history that I know most, the Italian one) … but also the Lombards, in italian “Longo Bardi” (very tall forest people) … the Celtic peoples of northern Europe, Germanic and Gallian … who, instruct ad the military and the Roman Civitas by the Romans, gradually grew and had clashes with them (barbarian invasions, (the sacke of Rome ), the birth of the Middle Ages …
In the historical period in which the Romans of the East, (the Byzantine Greeks) did not have the strength to counter this invasion, and therefore at first, Italy was all Roman then it became patches of Roman places and Longobard places, and with the passing of the centuries the populations have mixed and merged … (the Romans were Catholic Christians after the emperor Constantine imposed Christianity on Paganism as the religion of the empire (325 First Council of Nicaea in Constantinople), the Lombards were Arian Christians) in the end they all became Catholic Christians and Italians people was born which initially were many small kingdoms some Romans prevalence others with a Lombards prevalence … the Romans have taught to read and write and taught mathematics and poems to the Lombards, and the Lombards have edited the oral laws and protected and imposed the new the empire with their litigation and the propensity to go to war with each other for power (medieval ages)
…the Romans didn’t even joke about litigiousness, but their spiritual and cultural growth and Christianity undermined this characteristic of theirs)
We have now mixed words (and worlds) … for example pizza is born from the pita the flat bread of the Greeks and Romans, which the Lombards liked very much but not but couldn’t pronounce the T and pronounced the Z, then from pita to pizza. :wink: … just an example of the many mixed words.

The Bards
the sake of Rome (410)

The Bard (enlarge the image :wink: )

The Europe.

All the others are common destinations, already chewed several times … France I still have to visit it all, I live in southern Italy, and from there it is a little difficult to move without taking a plane.
(currently I can’t visit all the places in Italy LOL)
But with Carcassonne you intrigued me (also other places of France one day or another I will want to see.

Having said that, happy blending,
Nice cultural information. :wink:

:smiley: thanks a lot @amon_paike for this peek in history !

I like it and also like the ethymology of pizza :laughing:

Yes there are many places in france that deserve beeing discovered.
IMHO Carcassonne is the most important one :slight_smile:

I’m really glad you like my work. There’s still lot to do, and i’ll post updates here.

Happy blending !

2 Likes

Hi my dear followers :slight_smile:

I’d be pleased to show you some parts of my work :smiley:

Atm i’m modeling a barbicane. The Cremade barbicane. In the map you can find at the top of this topic, it’s the tower number 13.

It’s a big piece of building that, though quite simple is pretty impressive ( i saw it in real :stuck_out_tongue: )

For modeling i have the luck google street view gives many details about the city…
So, here’s the google view: ( copyright google and all it’s children for a hundred generations, i don’t own this pic please, any god pardon me i saw and showed it to friends, blah blah blah XD )

( credits: google maps: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2047399,2.3633767,2a,64.7y,222.99h,79.97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1se63tR92vbWERRkxB8DNCvA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3De63tR92vbWERRkxB8DNCvA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D183.12195%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656 )

And the Blender WIP ( i own this pic !!! :stuck_out_tongue: please use it as you wish :smiley: )

Welle am not sure i got the same angle and cam factor as google spherical projections but it’s approaching.

Of course google is just a simple and fast help… Most of the data i got for rebuilding the cioty comes from maps ( global and local ) pics and movies i took myself in the place and the most blueprints from Eugene Viollet Le Duc i could find ( and i still don’t have all… got some more library archaeology to do :smiley: )

Now you know… errrrr… most of my workflow :smiley:

happy blending !

1 Like

So here it is: The Cremade barbicane.

It is almost as big as the Notre-Dame barbicane, on the northern city wall but half it’s height.

I also reworked the wall a bit for it’s aspect ratio correction…

Happy blending !

1 Like

hi all :slight_smile:

Back there with some new things built in the city:
2 walls, 2 towers and a third wall in WIP.

A view with some sun ( sorry for the lightness of the ground ) from blender…

And a view from inside unity3D:

The smaller tower is called the Ourliac tower. It’s a 2 inner floors tower with another outer and topmost floor. They have all disappeared today and only an empty cylindrical wall is left.

The wall to the right is quite strange and might have some reason for it’s shape, that i don’t know.
A climbing stair, a platform, and then a descending stair… looks quite useless ^^ Maybe there was a former building ( military quarters ? ) built in front of it ? I sincerely don’t know…

The bigger tower is the southwestmost tower of the city. It’s called the ‘Tower of the big Burlas’.
Here’s what it looks like in unity:

Now it’s time to work on the western part of the outer citywall, up to the Bishop tower. And then after this, i’ll go on with the inner wall up the the castle… Still lots of modeling time in sight ^^

Happy blending !

1 Like

Next part of the city: a somewhat complex wall with strange architecture…

A ramp leading to a potern and to a place at the feet of the previous tower: The tower of the big Burlas.

This place some years ago was the theatre of archaeological researches that revealed the existence of the base of a older roman tower. It might have been burried when the outer city-wall was built in the XIII° century. nowadays, you can see it among vegetation, after it has been stabilized by stonework.
Here in my wall it has not been represented yet, but it will be as soon as i have enough info about it’s shape…

Happy blending !

1 Like

Next to this wall is a ‘small’ tower…

The grand Canizou tower.

The name sounds strange and after search, ‘Canizou’ in Occitan language, describes a sewer stream.
Indeed a bit more than 100m away, at the feet of the city’s hill, is a river ( the Aude river ) in wich formerly the medieval city dumped it’s sewers.
Of course, today, this has been suppressed but the tower kept it’s name…

Happy blending :slight_smile:

1 Like

next part is a wall.

Probably the simplest wall i’ve ever made in the city…

( it is the lower wall, between the Great Canizou tower and the Bishop tower )

Now it is time to get back to inner wall and model parts towards the castle, with the Aude gate…

Happy blending :slight_smile:

1 Like

Next par: a wall in the inner citywall, just behind the Bishop tower:

Happy blending !

1 Like

Next one is a tower:
The Inquisition tower. It’s name could suggest some dark history and sincerely i don’t know it at all, but as is used to be said: there’s no smoke without fire :wink:

hope you like it :slight_smile:

Happy blending !

1 Like

could you make a timelaps or video from your next tower / wall? i’d like to see how fast you do this, because you’re uploading quite quick this buildings!

sure :slight_smile:
am trying to compress the video :wink: i’ll put it somewhere ASAP

EDIT: waw… it’s damn long to process all those images i captured with ScreenToGif !!! :’(

1 Like

timelapse is coming soon ( i hope :stuck_out_tongue: )

In the meanwhile here’s a new piece of the inner city wall: a wall :smiley:
… with a 3m high stairway…

Happy blending !

1 Like