Career in 3D Industry

Hi!:slight_smile:
I’m Maria, I’m 25 and I live in EU.
I was just browsing through job offers for a few months, I was thinking maybe I could get into 3d industry? I was searching for basically anything entry-level, paid interns, etc. I don’t know maybe I don’t know where to search or how, but they’re almost nonexisting. There’s something mostly in the UK ( where I don’t wanna go) or in Germany often in German. I had one interview where they guy said that he wouldn’t take anyone who has no experience at all for other place than an intern. Is it even possible to get into this industry in eu? The other thing is - I’m still unsure if I’m good enough to work in it anyway. The other thing I wanted to is to just leave it forever and go to Uni to study Physics, (“Dare mighty things”) I’m keen on it, but it’s pretty fresh interest for me and I’d have to redo my highschool certificate(?) ( A-levels) (matura) which is even more time and I’m unsure if I even make it on the first place. And I need to add that I have very fragile mental health, is this environment for me anyway? Please, anyone who could say something about it, I’d really appreciate it. :slight_smile:
sorry if it sounds a bit chaotic!

1 Like

This is because 3D is still very specialized or “niche” and not extremely widespread or in high demand. There are only a dozen of studios in Europe that are able to produce CGI, so you most sure have to note that chances for getting hired are slim, working as a freelancer is definitely the most sure thing.

So either way it means that either you get hired as a freelancer (per contract) or getting hired as an employee. Is the same thing that you will have to be productive in either way.

The real question here is how to build experience, when no studios hire inexperienced persons. You can work on your own ideas and projects first. First you want to learn things and figure out things on your own. Then you want to have something presentable, that can show people what you are able to do.

I would definitely consider this intern offer, excluding the rellocation and travel expenses. Whoever is in the same city and not getting such opportunity looses big time. I hope though that even that way you are able to negotiate working remotely.

Most important is that you consider if you have something to offer or show to the world. If for example you have other ideas than anyone else, then you will have the purpose to implement them properly and show to the world. Is not exactly something you look at the surface, but is more like having a taste on how things done.

If you have strong opinions about design, is the same thing as watching “Gordon Ramsey” explaining with logical arguments highlighting the pros and cons of the cooking technique, why he didn’t like that steak.

Personally I have 0% experience with Math or Physics, I am not sure about how easy is to find a job on these. Unless you associate these with engineering or chemistry (material science - structural engineering - civil engineering - software programming) you are no good by solving equations on paper. You will need to use simulation software.

Generally all jobs need a certain level of stress especially in the beginning. Even getting hired to draw or do artistic work, might sound like playing, but is still stressing. The only way that the stress diminishes is after 8 years of working experience. So the more time you spend doing something the more you get more comfortable.

1 Like

Don’t overlook that “a career in 3D” doesn’t necessarily mean Disney or Pixar. You can find interesting work that involves 3D in architecture, broadcasting, engineering and many other circles – right in your own home town or now “remotely.” You can be involved in the production of videos that aren’t “cinematic films.” I once was asked to put together a “logo graphic” for a medical clinic company that was subsequently used to open every one of their training videos … and most of those videos also wound up having some amount of 3D content for visualization purposes. It was great fun, and easy to do in Blender.

The demand for 3D work – and Blender is used very frequently now – is simply a consequence of its ready availability. We now have the hardware and the software, and it’s either free-of-charge or acceptably inexpensive. Blender now produces excellent results, and does so fairly quickly.

In every case, you should expect to work on a team, not as a “lone wolf” individual. Many hands make light(er) work. You’ll tend to be asked to specialize in one part of the overall process, while you might also be asked to “pitch in” on a task that’s less familiar to you. The work is still very labor-intensive but it naturally forms a “pipeline” in which different people can work simultaneously on different stages.

“Shops” will inevitably standardize on some product – usually Maya, 3DS, or Blender. Sometimes they use more than one. But you simply say, “when in Rome, do as the Romans do.” Once you understand the concepts – all of which Blender can teach you – it’s easy to switch to using whatever other product might be their standard. (But: Blender is very rapidly becoming “their standard” in a great many cases.)

1 Like