Cars are HARD!

Cars are HARD to model! For me this is something impossible.
Do a complex weapon model? - Yes! - Because it composed from a primitives, which just need to bring to the final look and then maybe merge together. Human mesh? - Yea, I can do this, sculpting is not that hard, aaaaaand human body have some basic shape in basis as well. But vehicles… oh boy.
Do it in hard surface style? - ohoho no! This is organic shape, so I’ve got to model it in “precise extrude-by-extrude” style, which is NIGHTMARE for me! I never model in this style! If i need to model a human face, i do basic shape from subsurfed cube and then sculpt it. But the thing is, sculpting is not the option as well, because this is a half-organic shape!
I’ve tried so many times, trying to do it in a different way every time, and every time and failing, yea, i go juuuust a bit further every time, but still… My mind just cannot make sense of it

Show us what you got there.

1 Like

I’m no expert on this, but one tip:

Do the hard parts first, do easier surfaces later. It’s much easier to do the hard parts when you don’t have to worry about matching existing surfaces too much.

Are you following blueprints/reference or just imagining it as you model?
Have you had a look at the CGMasters courses? I’m part way through Master Car Creation and it’s looking good so far.
Starting with blueprints there is a lot of extruding along lines and lining things up with the reference, easy but repetitive. They cover a few techniques on how to get perfect flowing reflections across the car.

you need high res large blue print which is hard to find on the web

but in any case doing 3D surface with 3D gradients is hard
does not matter how you do it
so need the best drawings you can find

depends on 3D shapes
in some case easier to use 3D splines or 3D Nurbs surface

happy bl

Modeling for things like cars and (nautical) ships are often done using mathematical surface modeling, based on curves. (Sometimes called “patch modeling.”) Cars are engineered to be aerodynamic … and sexy.

Here’s a very good tutorial on the so-called “NURBS” technique, which also discusses why they can be useful for modeling

It reaches all the way back to 2007 to find this thread – right here on this web site:

The main advantage of using mathematical surfaces for modeling is that they are by definition “completely smooth” since they consist of a system of equations that calculates the position for any and every point. (You don’t have to resort to tricks like “Smoothing.”) Incidentally, this is also how the real cars are designed.

Although curve-and-surface based modeling is not as critical as it once was when computers were vastly smaller than they are now, it’s still an important technique for things like cars.