Cartoon/Comic Rendering and Composite Testing

So, I’m working on some techniques to get a comic book or cartoon look from my 3D scenes. Freestyle is starting to give me good results I think. Basically, I’m rendering out all the components as separate images and combining them in Photoshop to get the looks I want. If I spent the time, I could get a setup in Blender to do it in one go, I’m sure. I’m also using the “Denoising” to my advantage to make the light layers look more painterly.

Also, I did a lot of color correction in Photoshop.

Here are some tests:

Let me know what you think!

NEW STUFF:

6 Likes

These renders look pretty good! They’re doubly good if you’re gonna use them as the base for a paintover lol :grin: Most of the work is done!

The freestyle lines do look nice, was it difficult to get them to this point?

1 Like

really Awesome snaps of work
Latest notifications

1 Like

Thanks, and yeah, I may paint over them if I ever get the motivation. xD

The Freestyle lines weren’t difficult after I watched someone explain what each modifier does. After that, getting the strokes to look more “hand-drawn” was just a matter of playing around with the parameters. I can do a walk-through video, if you like. :smiley:

Thank you!

Oh what, I didn’t even know Freestyle had some modifiers. I’ve only fiddled around with stuff like edge node lol. A walk-thru vid would be neat! ^^

I’ll see what I can do!

My favorite modifier to use is “Along Stroke” with curve mapping, you can set how the lines taper-off. It’s really cool!

Cool style. First image reminds of Aladdin a bit. Some jaggies are around the highlight btw.

I’m curious about your painterly techniques if you’d be inclined & able to elaborate. Thanks for sharing in any case. Cheers.

Yeah, I was aware of the pixel gap, I tried to do a selection and expand with the original line art instead of paint behind the layer and flatten. I did try to avoid that in the later projects, though! :smiley:

Thank you for checking it out!

I’m at work now, so the video will come later.

Another render, with a good amount of post-processing:

1 Like

Trying some render automation to get into Photoshop more easily. More comic book-like, I hope.

1 Like

I think I’m starting to reach the point I’m gonna stay with.

1 Like

omg look at the stars!! o) they’re cute! The lighting is good and warm, though I feel like the window area is a little dark… like there’s a void out there…

Thanks! Yeah, at the time I was still deciding on what type of shading I was doing. I think I’ve improved it since then.

More recent images, I’ll even add one from today in another post.

The scroll thing was made using the Curves to Mesh addon.

2 Likes

Here is today’s render!

2 Likes

now that’s looking sexy. Which materials you’re using?

Thanks! :smiley:

All the shaders are actually just a regular diffuse shaders in cycles, taking a solid color input with a dirty paper texture multiplied on it. The light is mostly from using the AO set to 10%, with area lights on the windows and where the fireplace is. I have the light bounces disabled to give flat, smooth lighting.

Lots of changes today! Adding in some detail, feels good. I changed the upper windows to have a pointed arch style. Not to mention I completely changed the floor from planks to cobblestone. I only realized just now that I made edges for planks on the top of the back wall when I started this project and didn’t even add the freestyle marks to them… ugh.

1 Like