Cartoon Dragon --| Keyji |--

Prologue:
I’ve been making quite a few images lately, that I am very proud of, but they lack something. Mostly I have been doing outdoor scenes, I have tried a few indoor ones as well, and some “props” mostly man made objects, not too many organic ones. So I am now convinced of my ability to create “scenery”. Pondering what my next work will be, I realized that I had forgotten why I got into 3D…characters! I want more characters in my scenes, and I’ll need to get quite good at making them, so that I can quickly design a character and rig it for a scene.

I want to go with a good catoony style, very basic, and I want to start from a sketch. So I have busted out photoshop and started drawing my first character design, a cartoon dragon. After the concept art is finished I will proceed with moseling him in 3D. then unwrapping, texturing, sculpting, and finally rigging. I invite you to follow along. (this should move fairly quickly, those of you familiar with my work, know that I lack patience, which results in quick progress)

Here is our little dragon in his current shape.

EDIT: Current state:

Attachments

Step 2 Drawing stage. :o

Attachments

Stage 3 Hands, wing, jawline. little bit stuck right now. :confused:

Attachments

Looks like a nice concept, but if you don’t delete some lines that would be obscured because of being behind something, you’ll end up with a mess of lines as you put in the fine detail.

Thanks CD. You are too right, to combat this I am using the pen tool in PS, so the lines are all still editable paths stroked on separate layers. Added some more detail, next step will take longer because I am going to clean up the placeholder lines. :rolleyes:

Attachments

Ok now I am contemplating color, extra touches, still have cleaning to do. It’s coming along nicely. :yes:

Attachments

Concept art finished.

Attachments

Very well done, I like your approach and design… I have to ask though, does he/she have a name yet? =P

Thanks Q,
No name yet, I’m open to any ideas you guys have! :eyebrowlift:

Next step is to pull open Blender!

Blocking out the head.

Attachments

More head progress. Might be the last for the day, I had hoped to be further with this little guy, but oh well there is always next weekend.

Attachments

Snuck out of bed to steal some time to work on our little friend, finished the body and tail. I deviated from the sketch somewhat, to give him a more relaxed pose, though I kept some curvature because I want his tail to move in an s shape.

Attachments

Seems it’s coming along nicely. Good job on it so far and keep up the good work.

Thanks for watching Kris. At this point, I need encouragement. :slight_smile:

Working on a tricky part… the legs. AO render to check things out.

Attachments

Arms! and a cool wire reveal. :cool:

Attachments

I think the legs are long enough, I’d go ahead and block in the feet and see how it looks. I don’t think of dragons as having long legs and they don’t look too long in you concept sketch. Have you seen the baby dragon they are working on for Durian? It was posted recently on their blog.

I think it’s really looking good, keep it up!

Randy

fanny character! i like it!
nice to see the progress!

Thanks revolt, I appreciate your advice and I have taken it. I’m feeling close to done on the main body, I’ll do the tip of his tail next, then the spines behind his head.

P.S. I saw that Durian dragon, had forgotten it until you mentioned it, I 'm going to go take a look. :wink:

Attachments

Finished the tail and the fringe behind his head. (his hairdo!) :RocknRoll:

Attachments

I’ve been following this from the start and i gotta say I like how yours gone about this. I’ve only sot one crit bout your model and that is his hands and feet. They have more detail than the rest of the body (well defined knuckles etc) which make them seem out of place.

But the rest of it i am loving XD