Carving letters into a mesh

My current project I’m working on is a tombstone. I’m trying to figure out a way to carve in RIP into the front of it. I was trying to use a boolean modifier on it but Blender keeps crashing. Is there any other way to achieve the carved in look?

Thanks in advance.

Anita

Text works fine, just convert it to mesh before the boolean. Use remesh to get better topology.

Hope that helps

I converted the text to mesh and got rid of the extra verts but for some reason it doesn’t like me one bit. I’m probably missing a step somewhere.

I select the tombstone add the boolean modifier to it and select the object as text. Nothing really happens other than not working. Difference isn’t cutting the mesh. I’ll go look at some boolean tutorials and see where my problem lies. Though it’s nice to know that I’m at least on the right track in how to do it properly.

Are you using the latest build? that makes all the difference in blender crashing and mesh bugs caused by bmesh.

This also occurred to me: did you extrude the words? otherwise it has no depth to cut from.

Yep I extruded them out in the font panel before I converted to a mesh. I am using the latest build but no matter what I do blender keeps crashing and when it doesn’t crash it runs slow. Makes it very aggravating to actually get this completed.

So for now booleans are out for me until I can figure out what’s going on with the program.

Hey they do work heres a demo I did recently, but with sphere and box.

Perhaps to many verts, can you decimate or simplify the text object after convert to mesh?

I did manage to get it to work without it crashing. I kept the font as the default one and didn’t have any issues with it crashing. Remesh didn’t work for me made it look all, for the lack of a better word, childish. I’ll have to look at some tuts for that.

At least it’s done and it took longer than I wanted to.