I was using Catalyst 8.8 previously, and Blender would not work, it would crash on start up imediately, with a stackhash error. I found a workaround (if you care, read the above thread), and Blender would work, but it was a hastle and Blender still crashed as soon as I entered the new Particle Mode.
Anyways, I downloaded Catalyst 8.9, and now Blender works just fine (as far as I can tell). Both issues I’ve experience previously have been resolved, and I’m very happy with ATI right now. Anyone having problems with ATI cards, please try out 8.9.
What I did:
- Uninstall old drivers using the provided uninstaller. (Run the catalyst install, and select uninstall.)
- Reboot into Safe Mode.
- Run Driver Cleaner (I used Driver Sweeper, as it’s free, link below.)
- Remove all ATI drivers using the Driver Cleaner/Sweeper (I also removed some NVIDIA drivers that were on there for some reason, I have never used a NVIDIA on this computer?)
- Reboot again, this time start normally.
- Install Catalyst 8.9.
- Reboot for the final time when prompted, and your done.
Driver Sweeper: http://www.guru3d.com/index.php?page=driversweeper
Thanks, I hope this helps, let me know if it does or if I can answer any questions.