Cathide, Resurrected for 2.8x ! - 3D view Category hiding

Hi, this error comes from a startup script pointing blender to a cathide preset on opening.
Your startup file is saved with a text object telling blender to look for a cathide preset, just delete this text object (“cathide startup script.py”) in blender text editor, save your startup file again, and you shoul be good to go ! :slight_smile:
cheers !

Thanks! Sounds easy.

This would be a much needed addon in 2.8.
Given that all the addons are basically piled in the N panel.
Any updates on migration?

2 Likes

In 2.8 you can deactivate addons per workspace. It might not be exactly what this does, but it helps me.

1 Like

If we ask dearly, the addon developers will give us the possibility to change the tab name in the respective addon preferences so that we can organize our addons ourselves.

test

Maybe a developer could create a template for this little feature - it should be more motivating to include it. Pinned as a thread, as a request of the community to the developers - then we could kindly refer to it and ask for it. As long as Blender doesn’t have a better solution internally every addon user wants something like this - I think. After all, addons are a considerable part of the blender soul. I would like it! : )

1 Like

Hi guys, little update on cathide, I don’t think it will be updated soon, sorry about that, but cathide was always a kind of messy add-on because it registers/unregister a bunch of panel while blender is started, that is not a really proper way to do that and I don’t have time right now to port it…
but the @cyzo’s idea is pretty cool, and that is definitely not a big things to do for addon développer to integrate the category choice for n panel. I ll see if I have time to draft a template next week, what do you think would be better? A drop down listing existing with a “new category” option?
Cheers

1 Like

I still have hope for this to be made :frowning:

1 Like

Hi guys i am in the process of porting cathide for 2.8 2.9x. ! If anyone have some insights or suggestions for ux and functionalities, i would be glad to hear it !
And about the template thingy suggestion for addon developper too, what would be the best ui/ux ?
Cheers !

3 Likes

Hey guys, here is a quick and dirty demo video of CatHide 2.0

Now compatible with 2.8x and 2.9x.
Still a few improvements to make but the general idea is here ! This version should be way more simpler to use than the old one i hope !

Here’s the link to the github branch, don’t hesitate to give it a try !

Cheers !

7 Likes

Very cool!

2 Likes

Awesome! Let’s test it out!

1 Like

Unfortunately I get this error in Blender 2.83:

Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users*\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\CatHide-2_8\operator\refresh_lists_operator.py", line 70, in execute
createPanelCategoriesProperties()
File "C:\Users*
\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\CatHide-2_8\functions\panel_functions.py”, line 43, in createPanelCategoriesProperties
panels, categories, child_panels = getAllPanelFromSpaceRegion(“VIEW_3D”, “UI”)
File “C:\Users****\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.83\scripts\addons\CatHide-2_8\functions\panel_functions.py”, line 29, in getAllPanelFromSpaceRegion
if panel.bl_category not in category_list:
AttributeError: type object ‘BAKETOOL_PT_UV’ has no attribute ‘bl_category’

1 Like

Hi thanks for testing cathide ! Im still in vacation for a few days, i’ll take a better look into that as soon as i get home ! Meanwhile you can deactivate baketool addon if you want to test cathide more ! :slight_smile: (sorry for the Bad temporary solution…) Cheers !

1 Like

Baketool actually popped up after I deactivated the previous addon to give this error so I anticipate they will keep coming as I deactivate them. Your efforts are much appreciated! No rush!!

1 Like

I got the same error with a different add-on, so my uneducated guess would be that not every add-on has a bl_category set up. I’ve been editing a bunch of mine manually before seeing this was being worked on and there definitely is no standard as to where creators want to put their bl_category information, if they put it anywhere at all.

3 Likes

Thanks for trying Cathide, yes not every gui panel have a bl_category declared on startup, some have to declare it afterwards (when customizable for example) i believe. But in the end, all panels in the 3d viewport toolshelf have a bl_category i think.
So i have to error handle some of these cases, and try to get the bl_category along the way. I should have some time to take a better look next week. But if you want to try cathide and give some feedback, you can do it through a factory setup or a portable version of blender with no additional addons for example ! sorry for the inconvenience !
And for debugging purposes, which addon returned you this error ? Thanks ! cheers !

2 Likes

BatchOps

1 Like