Catmull-Clark distorts texture

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and Blender itself, and I’ve been rapidly searching the internet for answers to this question.
If the answer is obvious, and the problem is a pure brainfart, then please forgive me.

I am currently making an hourglass, which should have a wooden texture applied to the top and bottom.
When I use Subsurf with Catmull-clark, the texture gets distorted like crazy!
All other things I found on the net concerning distorted textures was nothing like the problem I’m experiencing.

The wooden parts are seperate meshes from the actual glass part.
So, here’s the examples:

Simple Subsurf:

Catmull-Clark Subsurf:

Once again, if it’s a silly question and the thread is redundant, I apologize.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

Insufficient info
What texture mapping coordinates are you using ?
If you UV unwrapped your object did you use the ‘use subsurf’ option in the unwrap options ?
I assume the top face is an ngon ?
With subsurf try and use quads
Add additional edge loops and/or edge creasing on the top edges to limit stretching
Read the subsurf modifier entry in the blender manual for additional advice

No .blend file supplied with your post (why not when you should be supplying an example blend file with ALL support questions) so we cannot check these for you !!

This is most likely because of your geometry. You probably have triangles pointing to the middle of the cylinder, which are generally bad for subsurf. Maybe you can eliminate those tris (remove all triangle edges and then cut it into quads with the knife tool, for example), or you could add another loop cut and move it so far to the inside that it won’t be so obvious.

Thanks, that loop cut actually helped me! :slight_smile:

I am sorry that I did not include my .blend file. Like I said, I’m new here, but my post should have been more in tone with the etiquette on here - so I apologize. I first thought that SubSurf was causing the triangles :slight_smile: