Cel-Shading

I made a small avi (744 kb, 21 secs) to show my experiments with cel-shading (note: not simply toon shading, toon shading is just black lines.)
http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/lig/m/a/markhand/toon.avi
Any comments?

Thanks,
Valar_King

Mucho cool! You should consider writing a tutorial on it- as it seems you have mastered it.

Thanks. It’s quite simple, so I’m right on it…

Valarking, a couple of things.

1. WHat codec did you use in your avi? Windows Media PLayer doesn’t play the file.

2. image of the final render may be good in the tutorial!

brian

Hate to spoil the fun, but cel shading doesn’t really look like that. Its flat. Doesn’t have depth. One way to get that is to greatly limit the transition depth.

You see, a toon rarely has shading. And if they do, the transitions in the shading is GRAVELY limited. You rarely see more than 2-4 levels of shading.

Best bet is to go with shadeless and edges.

yes, well, good cel-shading is NEVER flat. is generally has 2-5 colors. this is howto pretty much fake that in blender, but blender still does transitions.

if you look at cartoons, you’ll see that most are as flat as possible. Especially characters. Other things like environments might have transitions, which is as you stated hard to do right in blender. I agree.

well, take a look at most high quality anime. or at something like “cel-damage” for the xbox. those are NOT flat.

I really like this test… reminds me of the type of things I used to do with animations in DPaint (Amiga).

And as far as thew comments about what “proper toon shading is”… well… did anyone see “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” - they were toons… but they sure weren['t “flat” shaded toons…

In any case… whatever you want to call the technique… it is a very effective “style” to use in animations…

Good Job Valar_King…

:smiley:

Jason