Ceramic vase - with surface cracks

Hello everyone,

I’m a Blender newbie and for the last couple of days I’ve been trying to render THIS vase with Cycles as an assignment for a Uni class. I’ve had no major issues with the modeling itself, while texturing is driving me mad. I can’t find a proper way to render the little random cracks appearing on the surface of the vase and I’ve tried a few different ways, but I’m not skilled enough. Some of these methods include using Cell Fracture (shards came out too big) and applying a Voronoi Texture node (this seems to be the easiest way, but I can’t outline the resulting coloured cells).

Can anybody describe me a correct node map or at least direct me in the right way?

The principle of such a material is really simple: A coat of high gloss over a another shader with a bump map.

The little cracks would also be very simple if we had a Voronoi Crackle texture in Cycles. Alas, we don’t… So I cooked up an approximation for this quickie:


The bump map I used:


There is still a lot of room for improvement so I give you my blend file as inspiration: Forum China.blend (144 KB)

Just don’t forget to come back and tell me my grade. :wink:

nice vase

but he did ask to get some cracks on it too
depends on the size for the cracks ?
so can you show us some pic of what you had in mind !

there is a way to add a cracks brush texture then you can paint it anywhere you want


happy cycles

Excellent, Kaluura, you came through once again! Very nice and lightweight crackle approximation.

Thanks , Kaluura , excellent work

As always, I’m turning my homework in late! OP probably can’t use it anymore but maybe Kaluura might want to grade me on it…


This is not ceramic at all, because the ceramic crackle that I know is not a bump but just a crackle color. This is more like stoneware I suppose.

@DruBan: You get an F for not explaining! …And an A for the result. :smiley: Better Crackle than mine! Explain! Now! :wink:

Well, here’s the nodetree for the crackle texture used for the pic above. It has a little quirkiness that I’m ironing out in a better version but this one is much lighter in the number of nodes…

The scale differential method here is just pure laziness but works for smallish objects. A much better method is to use a translation differential with a mapping node. In fact, with four of them. (Rather similar to the blur nodegroup from earlier.) That’s when the nodecount goes up!


Thanks druban for this idea for making some cracks