Certification?

Does anyone know if blender has an official certification program for adding to my business profile?

Nope. Never was one, sorry.

VFX or animation studios doesn’t consider any kind of software certification for business, only school programs and related college degrees. Yet you can hook up a job as self taught with a lot of effort and some exceptional skills. In general, industry consider good abilities over formation.

Check those self taught artists profiles:

Clement Arlotti: https://www.therookies.co/u/ClementArlotti
Jules Peron: https://www.therookies.co/u/jules
Narcis Calin: https://www.therookies.co/u/NarcisCalin

List of schools: https://discover.therookies.co/schools/top-50-creative-media-entertainment-schools-and-colleges-in-the-world/

Those schools are normally very expensive, but there are some ‘cheaper’ online courses that are very well accepted, like Rebelway.

Must say, by experience, that all production studios, film, animation or advertising, are very skeptical about Blender as main content creation software. A lot. But I’ve been seen some concept artists, matte painters and art directors, using in their workflow.

1 Like

I beg to differ, for many cfo and ceos that i know and speak with told me they dont look at the degrees as much anymore. Its proving they are saturated and not a valid trustworthy source anymore.

You’re not interested in degrees but you are interested in certifications? A certification is just a degree that’s worth less, man :wink:

1 Like

My engineering degree can only go so far.

A good portfolio says more than a 1000 certificates.

1 Like

100%. If you want to work in the 3D industry, it’s all about the portfolio

You misunderstood, studios consider school programs and related degrees, it’s not a must have. As mentioned, in general, industry prefer good abilities over formation. If two applicants for an artistic role like Texturing Artist or Animator, a person with a degree/program will have preference because of art basics. Self taught people are very good with tools but often lack of color basics, composition, storytelling, pipeline, light, cinematography, art direction. All that can be learned yet requires a lot of effort and reading.

As an engineer, there’s a particular role called FX TD (technical director) where post production people struggle a lot and it’s kinda a rare professional. Mostly deal with simulations and procedural modeling using Houdini. It’s very recommended for math, geometry and linear algebra lovers. Blender geometry nodes is a good introduction. Still, you will need that art basics. FX examples.

2 Likes

That reel is so good!

I just finished a year long certification school a year ago. A year is just not long enough to learn everything you need to know. Got the basics and got my toe into understanding the filming pipeline. I asked and was given permission to use Blender at the end of the course instead of the school software (Maya).

Only a couple of folks continued on into the industry. A couple of Netflix movies have some of their work in them. For me this is all a hobby so wasn’t interested in making a third career out of it.

(My Opinion) Sometimes knowing the right person is way more important than a certification. During the year, the director would get calls from different studios looking for staff with specific skills. If not having the network, a good/great portfolio is the foot in the door.

3 Likes

Thank you. What is your advice for a great looking portfolio? What are types of things i should have in it?

Please take anything I say with a grain of salt. I am not a professional and this is only what I was taught in the course.

Showcase YOUR best work. There are different techniques to do this. Turntables, shifting between render and topology to show your understanding of modeling fundamentals. Quality over quantity. Short explanations if there is something unique or complex that you are showing.

Make sure you have a polished product showing attention to detail. Negatives are seen quickly when they are looking at/comparing dozens or hundreds of portfolios.

3d industry has many different specialty areas. If you are interesting in one aspect hit that hard in your portfolio. My niche is 3d modeling for custom cnc router patterns.

This is your chance to show what you can bring to a studio.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Main sectors are film, advertisement and games. First two has similar workflow. Define exactly which role that you want to work, and keep focused. Don’t try to be a generalist, you will only do one task in a pipeline. Also, those professionals normally already have studio experience and do a lot of stuff. Many artist have portfolios in ArtStation, I suggest that you follow some of them that are in the role you choose, preference to professionals working in studios. Most of them keep their first showreel and projects public, it’s a very good reference. Use production softwares, Maya, Arnold, Renderman, Houdini, Nuke, that’s the regular package. Techniques can be transfered between softwares, but your affinity can’t. Your showreel doesn’t need to have many projects, one or two very well done will get you at least an interview. One minute long without any kind of editing effects, best project goes first. Big companies have a lot of open positions at their careers page, with job descriptions and requirements. You can get to know studios in Art of VFX, Befores & Afters and ArtStation Jobs.

Forgot to mention that The Rookies website is great for starters. There’s a lot articles with tips to get an interview, and people at same level and goals.