CG boost challenge : Abandonned space station Kazrarr

Final :

As you can see, I really have a hard time with the exterior lighting, so if you guys have some tips and tricks to enhance this space (in cycles) I would be very grateful :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

If you have plenty of RAM You can get a full spherical star map from NASA and use that as your world texture. It’s a full OpenEXR file too, so it will even put a tiny amount of starlight into the scene, not that you’re likely to notice in the vast majority of scenes. Then your stars are real, including the layout as seen from Earth. You can download a fictional map if you want one.

The Earth view stars are here: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/details.cgi?aid=4851

If you want a realistic map of stars viewed from elsewhere (fictional) then go here instead: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/4856

The maps are available in a wide range of widths up to 64k; I generally use the 32k ones. I’d like to go bigger, up to the 64k ones but I don’t yet have enough RAM for that.

If you don’t have enough RAM for actual star maps a YouTube search on “Blender procedural stars” will find you lots of tutorials that can help you out.

2 Likes

Just one little … nagging. This oil barrels don’t have any sense in this envirnoment. They only ruin impression. Try with some more SF barrels. On Arrimus 3D You Tube channel you can find couple nice freebies , so you can make couple appropriate barrels, or at least inspect design.

1 Like

yeah, I was thinking about it to, but now you say it, it completly make sense that it as not his place here :upside_down_face:
thks to you

I’ve make some quick change that I wasn’t liking very much, (like the position of the camera, and decided to change a few things to, there’s still quite a few things to do, for then post-processing all of this and make it way better :

I think this will go for my final : what do you guys think ? :thinking:

1 Like

I think you should more present the hero of the shot and not the whole.
Currently its focus the white pillar with the styrofoam material which stands out a lot. Should it not be metal? but its broken like wood.

The hero here for me is the robot but he is barely visible. The story of him trying to prevent it but dying in the process with an empty battery…

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Yeah, I got the idea, thks a lot @3DArtGuy for your feedback, I was also triggered about the broken circle station, I’ll go fix all of that and come back. :upside_down_face:

Have a great day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok, I dit what you recommended, and I’ve ended up changing a few other things, what do you think about that ? :

the clay :

1 Like

Thats way better. From a physics standpoint the fog is not really making sense with a whole in a spaceship… Not sure how other submissions are handling it. Quite foggy there.

Its also currently split from the lighting. You have lights left and right which tears me watching it in half. Maybe setting the robot more in the middle? Would the sun from the whole not totally blast light through the whole?

Just ideas to help. I am more a character artist than environment.

Hi again, thks for your feedback :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

for the fog, It’s true I didn’t think if it was possible to have one like that in space, :sweat: (in my imagination, I was wanted for him to be some kind of air leak, due to the pipes that we can see).
And I don’t like ever that it is splitting in two, I just can’t get to have a good result with it. :sweat_smile:

I can’t move the robot to the center, because he would be between the two crates, and I don’t think that would give a good result as that :confused:, not really sure for the sun lighting all the interior, my main idea was to have some kind of green lamp in the interior (at first didn’t plan to have a sun pointing towards the interior). :upside_down_face:

again : thks for taking time to give me a feedback, I still think I’ll make some quick change and then send it. :wink:

Happy blending. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Ok, I think this one will be my final :

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Really appreciated ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Have a great weekend too !

1 Like