CG Boost Challenge: Discovered in Ice

Hey everyone,

trying to tackle yet another CG Boost challenge. Haven’t been able to work on this as much as I’d like, but here’s my progress so far. Will hopefully be able to post a few more updates in the following days, before the deadline hits. Still on my list of things to add: a door for entry in the back of the rover with a ladder that extends down, more alien structures, some falling snow for effect. Let me know what you think so far, I’m struggling with this one. Thanks!

1 Like

Looking great so far. :+1:

The planned additions you mention sound like good ideas to bring it up a notch.

As for criticisms, the ice might be too blue. I like the color, but it looks more like a water surface at first glance (though the land-based vehicles sitting on top make it clear that it’s solid). You could make the whole thing a little lighter, or maybe just try brightening and expanding the cracks in the ice?

Not sure if the planet/moon in the background is too big or not. Maybe play with the size there.

Looking forward to any updates!

First off, this looks amazing! Has a very desolate exploration vibe…

If you’re talking about a door / ladder for the rovers, I assume they’re much bigger than they look? Because to me they don’t look too big from this angle. Perhaps moving the camera closer to the ice to give them a sense of scale?

Also are they moving, or stationery? Because I think motion blur on the wheels would make it feel like they’re heading towards the thing in the distance. But if they are stationery, then that makes more sense.

And perhaps just me, but a little more mist might help?

Overall it looks amazing, and I can’t wait to see what it ends up like!