CG Cookie animation series - support thread

Definitely. In fact, we released all the basic rigs on blend swap as creative commons. On top of that, it’s perfectly fine to post any animations of Clive.

The main issue I see here is that with all versions, the flips at the end look like they are with one controller only. This makes it look unmotivated and takes away from the physicality of the motion. Try wiggling just one digit of a finger, or just your hand without moving your forearm, etc. Work in some movement on the other controllers with some overlapping motion, and it will suddenly look much better.

Also, I would suggest working at 24fps.

please explain why work at 24 fps?, I chose 30 fps just to give myself more flexibility in keying but I suppose that is a false gain when you upload vids to the web? I wonder what our embedded vids play back at, are these flash at 15 fps?

For the tail flip I was going for a more cartoony cuteness look, I need to go back to your vid and follow more closely I guess.

Q1: you keyed all positions of the rig, instead of just the ones you are animating. I had thought that you should key only the ones you change so that you can combine actions without interference. eg. I keyed just the location of the squash (hmm I guess that I should have used dloc) and the rotations of the tail and named and saved these actions. The idea being that this would save me time animating the ball and tail actions and then repeating for each bounce. I see that you don’t do this and I can see why -> as each bounce ends up different, But wouldn’t this save you time by getting you closer to where you want to be as a blocking pass?

Q2: since we only have an upper stretch controller, what was your thought process in compensating ball position when adding stretch in the tweens? do you try to keep the center of the ball on the arc or go for the top of the ball following the arc?

One request: I see you with nicely layed out and totally planned grease pencil sketches. I tried that, trying to modify the tuts a little to get a slightly different effect and I found just getting the sketches layed out and timed right to be difficult. Would you please discuss just how you plan out the motion before you get to a “final” grease pencil sketch. Do you do trial and error animations and then draw over the keys you find are best?

Thanks for the great tuts and feedback btw. I also appreciate you putting the rig up for general use, animation is its own study and art form. For some reason rigging seems to get way more discussion.

Well here is my first blocking pass, trying to “make it my own” by adding more air resistance to the jumps, hence non-parabolic arcs. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Here is blocking pass number 2, first with constant interpolation and then using bezier curves. Looks like once I switch to bezier that I’ve overdone the squash and stretch. Any suggestions?

It’s not a rule, it’s just a suggestion. In this digital age frame rate has become almost arbitrary. I suggest 24fps because it’s the frame rate I use in the videos. I chose it because it’s the one used for feature films, and consequently most animation books you’ll find talk about timing in terms of 24fps.

The reason for this is that I was demonstrating the pose to pose workflow. With this method, you deal with whole poses all at once, and think of your animation as a collection of drawings rather than a series of separate moving parts. This workflow has its roots in traditional 2d animation and is a tried and true method for producing a coherent performance.
When doing pose to pose animation, if a controller doesn’t move at a given pose you still want to record that fact by setting a keyframe for it. In fact, I advocate setting keys for controllers even if you aren’t intending to animate them at all, just to record their properties (for example: IK/FK sliders, head/kneck follow, etc.)
This approach can appear time consuming at first, but you get faster with practice. Sometimes the best way to save time is just to have plenty of practice under your belt.

Q2: since we only have an upper stretch controller, what was your thought process in compensating ball position when adding stretch in the tweens? do you try to keep the center of the ball on the arc or go for the top of the ball following the arc?

I try to have the whole shape of the body following the arc. It’s not really a technical thing for me. I just go by what feels best.

One request: I see you with nicely layed out and totally planned grease pencil sketches. … (snip) … Do you do trial and error animations and then draw over the keys you find are best?

Yup. I just sit down and start drawing. This is another thing that just takes patience and practice. By the way, the grease pencil sketches are just a rough plan that you do for your own purposes. They are not to be followed too closely. It’s good to leave room for better ideas to occur to you as you animate.
Once again, if you practice doing sketches, eventually you get faster and it can end up saving you a lot of time in the long run.

Thanks for the great tuts and feedback btw. I also appreciate you putting the rig up for general use, animation is its own study and art form. For some reason rigging seems to get way more discussion.

Maybe that’s because although rigging does have some general principles, as a topic it’s a lot more technical and application specific. Meanwhile once you learn the basic animation tools of a given software package, animation becomes a more general art form, with its own principles that are independent of the software. Also, animation involves a lot of intuition and that’s hard to teach. It comes with practice.

Regarding your blocking pass, I would suggest not adding air resistance. It’s an added complication that might be best saved for later. This exercise is more about learning how to achieve overlapping motion using pose to pose. That’s plenty to deal with without having to think about another force such as wind. Apart from that, it looks like a decent start. I would vary the squash and stretch with the size of the jumps.
Also, as you progress, it might be an idea to start a thread in the artwork/animations section, where you’re more likely to get comments from others.

Is it possible by using motion path to simulate the graph because my graph is empty and my ball moves the same even if I mute an axis. Chapter 1 1_2_Exercise-Bouncing_Ball

Attachments

Animation.blend (503 KB)

There is no point doing this exercise with a motion path. You wont learn anything about timing and spacing, squash and stretch or the use of the dope sheet or graph editor. This is a training exercise to set you up for more complicated animations later on. You will not be able to use the motion path technique on a complicated rig such as a biped.

There is also the rigging tutorial by Lee Salvemeni at CGMasters. I have both his modelling and rigging tutorial, I found them both excellent.

@FREEN – do you ever use the NLA editor? I have only seen two or three tutorials on it (very basic), it seems like a big deal no one really understands?

Almost never. I don’t find it to be very useful. This is why I left it out of the series; it’s largely unnecessary, and can cause technical headaches.
I used it on Sintel to block out flight cycles (there are vids on the dvd that show both Lee and I using it.) In the end, it was a time saver, but it didn’t produce the best animation. Campbell added a couple of features for speed control and the ability to bake all your NLA strips to a single action. However, especially for the dragons I still had to get in and hand polish everything, and in the end I think it would’ve been faster just to skip the NLA and do it all by hand.

That was my opinion too, but I have been asked several times about it, and not having as much experience, all I could say was that I didn’t see the advantage except for the game engine – linking actions to keystrokes and stuff. Anyways, thanks

Hi Daren, I was feeling guilty about monopolizing freen’s time :slight_smile:

About the NLA: you didn’t find it useful even to rough out the animation and then go back and tweek? Not suprising I suppose for a pro, I wonder about us noobs.

I think the point is – it doesn’t save any time – I mean - before you can use the NLA, you have to animate all the actions following all the steps Freen goes through in his tutorial series (blocking, splining, polish, etc) then you can put together a sequence of actions in the NLA, and now you have another pass to tweek the sequence as a whole

it saves little over just animating the sequence all at once and skipping the NLA. I think in theory it sounds like a good idea - I could animate a walk cycle once and every time the character walks in the movie, I can use it… it’s just, in a production, there isn’t really (in my experience) a lot of repeated actions - I mean, every scene has the actors doing something new. So I can’t just recycle an old action.

Now I am monopolizing this thread when I have no business… Freen can speak if he wants – and Walshlg – if you don’t make any more comments you will remain at 666. Now that’s a way to get some REAL respect around here!

I’m trying to link to the squashy ball in this blend file http://www.pasteall.org/blend/11259. I’m linking from basic_animation_rigs.blend/Group/squashBall, but it doesn’t appear when I press Link.

Gobias, I found that I had to place the linking-from blend and the linking-to blend in the same folder (windows). Also I’m pretty sure that you want to link the rig, not the ball.

It’s hard to say what’s going wrong from looking at your file. First guess, it looks like you’re starting with the finished file from the tutorial. I suggest just starting with a new file.
Save the file somewhere near the rig file before linking in the group using relative paths. I suggest either making a directory for your exercises within the “blender_animation_fundamentals” directory or making a new folder somewhere else and copying the rigs directory into it.
Either way, make sure that you keep your files together and that the links are working. In the outliner, “Libraries” view can help you debug this.

Hope that helps

It helped to copy the rigs file to my project file, so thanks! :slight_smile:

OK I’ve learned my lesson: started monkeying around with the plan for the TailBall rig tuts. My biggest trouble was using an S-curve as rest position for the tail. I’ve also learned that straight ahead modeling is harder than pose to pose for me when I don’t have a crystal clear idea of what I’m looking for. Once I went back and fixed a bounce cycle from my initial attempt at straight ahead, then I could refine using straight ahead.

I’m still having problems with clive rig - please explain exactly what I need to do to get the three bodies: full, no arms, lower body only to link. I assume that you select them by clicking on the layers 1,2 and 11, is that correct?

Are these three seperate objects using the same rig?

I like the script for animating, can that be used for other rigs or is it clive specific? Please also discuss how we would do all of this without the script- having my trouble getting my bearings.

All these questions are answered in the “Meet Clive” video. To get the three versions of Clive, you link in the three groups, delete all but one of them, and then make a proxy.
I also explain that the extra animation tools panel is linked to the Clive rig. It basically just copies buttons from various other parts of Blender into that one panel, for convenience. In the video I explain where you normally find all those buttons in Blender.
In short, I suggest you watch the “Meet Clive” video again.

freen – just a question for reference, both for my info and the general public. It is said on your resume that you worked on Happy Feet 2 –

What was your typical time quota? I mean, how much did they expect you to produce in a week? 10 seconds, 4 seconds, 2 seconds?

I know Pixar typically assumes 4 seconds/animator/week, Just curious if that is industry standard (and gives a reference for people with less industry experience what to expect as an animator)

Thanks