CGTalk and Blender (closed)

It’s likely that some of you have noticed how people are dissing Blender at cgtalk. And in one post by blenergetic (great pic, future city), there were comments like “If it was made in some other software (probably referring to maya, 3dsmax, lightwave and such) I might have a different opinion”… Like Blender was somehow limiting the quality of 3d-graphics made with it.

Oh, yes, sure, blender doesn’t have all the fancy 1-click-photo-renderers and plugins (well it does have a great selection of them), but so what? What I’m saying is, that people shouln’t despise work made with Blender, just because it’s not a “professional” software that costs milk and hunny. I mean, I could’ve started with 3dsmax, or Maya, had I wanted, but the fact that I don’t want to use a pirate software prevents me from doing so. And why should I? I have got Blender. And I think people who use and even more, who create open source software should be respected

But, does a experienced and talented blender-user get a job with his skills in blender3d? Surely many companies use the common 3dsmax or Maya, but if you can produce quality pictures and/or animation, I don’t think a software should be the hindrance. But sometimes it likely is. As far as I know, the basics can’t be that different. The great thing about blender is, that you can use it anywhere, and it doesn’t require licenses. It’s only good if somebody knows many apps, but I don’t encourage anyone into piratism, there are demo-versions and personal learning versions.

The whole point is, a part from a bit of a lecture above, I think we oughta show those people in cgtalk that Blender isn’t any child’s toy, but a great, fully-potent 3d-software, a result of hard work and innovation, and co-operation, and it’s getting better continuously. Let us show them :).

This subject comes up every other week. Quit whining about people’s reaction to blender.

Roel

Well if I hear such comments I can get really angry. Dumb stupid people doing illegal actions to get such programs, to use a blurred renderer that uses Click and Play system to make from stupid shit a blurred render.

Why having a bill on your head by using warez to get such programs, if you can get something better that’s even for free. And another side, where on earth does another 3d program have a awesome community as the blender’s one?

Blender community is awesome, great and funny. Blenderes, we have a mission!!! Invade the world of 3D topics on the internet with awesome Blender stuff. :smiley: Btw, CGtalk has nice resources, but the reaction of them on blender sucks hell, and we will kill them :<

Btw a thing I always wanted to make, a video idea.
A 3Ds max and Maya guy are walking around, then they see a shop and decide to buy something, when they are in that shop, and want to buy a product they see on it “made with blender3D” and throws it away, then grap something else, check “made with blender3D” and throws away again, then grap another products and all of them are signed with “made with blender3D” Then the 3Ds max and Maya guy runs insane and keeps searching, then yells and runs screaming out of the shop. A logo comes in “Created with Blender3D” :stuck_out_tongue:

Or this one:
A blender guy is watching tv, zapping, and then he see’s a comercial of 3Ds max, and chocks, he don’t want to see it and keeps trying to zap, but it’s stuck on that channel. Then put his hands in front of his face, and looks trough the little place trough his fingers. Then suddenly you see turning his eye evil, because he has an idea. Walk to the tv, Zippp his jean, and pisses on the tv. Then the tv stops working and Pfff does the Blender guy.

I really want to create sometime one of these ideas in blender for an animation. If one of you want to try, do it :smiley: but inform us on the progress :wink:

Yeah! Good idea, JD-Multi. I like the first animation idea better.
and… :o I believe Goofster is an undercover agent :Z
Actually, Goofster, I didnt know that people talked about this this much.
I don’t follow News & Chat that much :stuck_out_tongue: .

actually, i was able to a complete lightwave tutorial.

It’s a shame, one day Blender will get the respect it deserves!

How about an energiser bunny animation, the blender bunny versus the maya bunny.

And ok, the maya bunny can zoom off at the start,but then suddenly he stops dead a 100 yards down the road and the blender bunny sails past. Then you see a techy come up to the bunny, give him a few kicks and then the techy sees the coin slot in the back and realises he has to find more money to restart the maya bunny.

Fade to black, cue miramax voiceover guy ‘Blender 2.35 Oooooo Yeah!!!’

The answer is YES! :smiley:

I have a fulltime job as a 3d-modeller/project-manager and create ad-campaigns,
logo’s and mascot’s with Blender. I asked my boss if it was okay to use
Blender - they saw the results created with it and told me they thought
it was an amazing program - are you sure it’s free?

By all means - use it! It looks great!

So I use it every day now, and the posters/brochures/mascot’s are
produced by the dozens and the boss is happy :slight_smile:

Now HUGE posters with the 3d characters created with Blender are
hanging in special stores all over our country - and I’m starting on
my next campaigns.

Of course - If blender (and me) can do the job …I’ll use it, there’s
no reason why. If a job demanding different tools come along
I’ll use that tool to get the job done…it’s as simple as that.

It’s not the tool…its how you USE the tool.

It already does from people that actually matter. Despite what CGTalk will tell you, most posters there are not CG professionals.

I’ve now met quite a few technical directors on the London post-production circuit, and several of them have actually brought Blender up in conversation as something with promise and to keep their eyes on. The first comment they make is “impressed by the capabilities but that interface was a bit wierd”.

It already does from people that actually matter. Despite what CGTalk will tell you, most posters there are not CG professionals.

I’ve now met quite a few technical directors on the London post-production circuit, and several of them have actually brought Blender up in conversation as something with promise and to keep their eyes on. The first comment they make is “impressed by the capabilities but that interface was a bit wierd”.[/quote]

sounds very interesting! :slight_smile:

/.Z

Yeah, they are. One of them mentioned investigating using the cross-platform bits of the Blender code, and building a sort of paint program on top “like a cross between Matador and Shake” although I don’t know how far he got with that . . . .

The thing to realise is in the big places one program is not used for everything, and the better the place is the less politics there is in software choice, it’s just what works. If something makes modelling a given object easier, they’ll use it just for that as long as it’ll export the result into whatever animation software they’re using. And the main thing looked for in that is scriptability and export to renderers . . .

There’s one urban myth that always pops up about a vendor for software package X, who sits in a meeting with their customer saying “so what quote can we use on the press release about us selling you this” with the response “well, X is crap, but it turns out to be less crap than Y and Z for what we want to do”. It makes the point correctly though. The lengths the likes of Alias go to to please their big customers (recently Sony ImageWorks for improving the cloth dynamics in Spiderman 2) shouldn’t be understated.

I personally don’t think the Blender 2.x series will ever really threaten the big boys, but a modern rewrite (multi-threading) for 3.x onwards could do in the longer term. Blender bashers are wrong, but we shouldn’t overstate the case in favour, when clearly it doesn’t come up to the required level in many ways yet.

Yeah, that’s pretty much the impression I get from CGTalk too. Nonetheless, let 'em talk.

If, as a computer-programmer, I allowed the tool that I used first to dictate my career, I’d be using HP-2000 Access BASIC, or FORTRAN. But of course I didn’t. What I did learn, using those tools and many more, is how to program a computer. Which I have been doing since … for … well, ummmm, “enough years that you stop being quite so quick to want to blurt out your age.” :wink:

Now, in any new job or assignment, the odds are pretty darned good that they’re going to be using some tool or technique that I haven’t seen before. I never bluff about it, but I don’t let it worry me much either. I freely tell them that I’m confident that I can adapt quickly, and I do.

Once you understand “what CG is all about,” the so-called “big picture” phrase that I like to use in my posts, every tool goes down the same path more-or-less and accomplishes the same task more-or-less, with minor and sometimes-important variations. You must not belittle those variations nor underestimate the importance of adapting yourself to them and “going with the workflow” without bucking the stream… but no new job is going to be exactly like the last; nor exactly like your education.

Also, once any shop begins producing work-product using a tool, they not only won’t switch tools readily, they often won’t switch versions.

There’s one urban myth that always pops up about a vendor for software package X, who sits in a meeting with their customer saying “so what quote can we use on the press release about us selling you this” with the response “well, X is crap, but it turns out to be less crap than Y and Z for what we want to do”. It makes the point correctly though…

Hmm… “Blender! It sucks less!” :wink: :smiley: Nope, I just can’t see it… “Oops!” he said, quickly zipping up his asbestos bunny-suit. “Flames!”

This is not really true. There is 2 things at work here :

• level of (technical) quality is muh higher at cgtalk than here. Look at any post by @ndy there, he wont have any bad comment about blender simply because his pictures spoke for themselves.

for any picture to be noticed it need a sophistication or true artistic quality which is not encountered too often. Blenergetic pic is good but not that good in the sense it lacks a bit of this sophistication (as the guy noted all stars are of the same intensity, shaders are quite simple, the composition is not perfect). Now his and others comments in the thread were good (Levon one was a joke).

• There is effectivly some (not many) dumbass which will ditch blender. They are never the real pros and don’t matter.

i partially agree to this, but (for me at least) the blender dissing isn’t nearly as bad as people make it out to be. On the thread that falgor told you about, people were NOT dissing me for blender. In fact, they were impressed by blender. And they werent stupid and mean, they said they liked it and gave me helpful suggestions. I have posted my Hallway, Mysterium, Spider, and now Alien City pictures to cgtalk, and i have not ONCE been dissed for using blender. In fact, on my mysterium pic, someone said that he was “impressed and didn’t know that blender has such a powerful render engine”

yes, i agree, there HAS been some blender dissing, but it seems to be “phazing out.” Mabey i’m just lucky, but hey! :stuck_out_tongue:

The big thing is, people see blender artworks and just can’t imagine that they ‘bought’ or ‘took all there energy to find a 3d program’ not… eug eug, caught…lega illigal to make such artworks, and spen …waste all there sparetime learning those program instead of using a awesome free program that’s free.

So they think “Hell know, why did I spend all my time on something else if there was a easier way?” “well I don’t want that people know that I think this so I’ll spit on blender”. But in secret they use blender at home to learn it while dissing blender on cgtalk :stuck_out_tongue:

A teacher at my school said one time, “well blender is for beginners, it’s basic and the renderer is just only solid crap” But I heard from someone he’s using blender at home all time :stuck_out_tongue:

When it comes to CGtalk i’ve been there and have seen a number of blender images that were either dissed or filled with people who couldn’t believe it was made with blender. But the good news is is that more and more are realizing what blender can really do, it may not be one of the big budget softwares, but offers ample 3D possibilities for a free program.

OK, the thing is, everyone in the “industry” sees Blender as a beginner application.

If you go to CG Talk and see posts from Blenergetic, @ndy, endi, etc., then they typically get good responses with minor critiques. Why, you may ask? Take a look at the calibre of work that they post. We all know that @ndy and endi make incredible stuff. We all ogle over it here and pat them on the back and raise them on our shoulders for a week or so. But at CG Talk, they get the, “hey, you could change this and it would be so much better” response. Hell, I even get those responses there sometimes. My Witch project is in WIP forum there and I am getting nothing but praise for it. No Blender bashing or awe in the thread at all.

Yes, there are the people who post the “wow, I can’t beleive you made that with Blender” responses too. But those responses are from people, who if you ask them, have typically never even used the program to start with. So their opinion doesn’t really count.

Now to my point. Don’t post threads here complaining about what other forums are saying about Blender. If you want to complain, then make an image of the quality that deserves to be posted at CGTalk, (i.e. reference @ndy, endi, etc.), and then, when you get real critiques from good modellers and texture artists, (i.e. industry people), take them as constructive criticism of your work.Then use that to futher your artistry, (and yes, CG is artistry no matter what anyone says).

Sitting on your arse complaining about what other people say about the specific app you chose to use is childish and does not further you, or the app you use.

BgDM

Indeed. Some parts of this community seem to have the biggest chips on their shoulders that I’ve ever seen.

Also, as blenergetic said, if you’ve been reading CGtalk for a while, you’d notice that over the last few years in general people’s attitudes to Blender have improved significantly. A few years ago you couldn’t mention the ‘b word’ wiithout being shot down in flames, but thse days people generally have a quite positive impression. Compare the threads made in the News forum for each blender release, and look at the kind of comments people make. There’s been a huge-turn around, which is continuing on, too.

Anyway, if you want blender to be recognised, then start making some work that proves it’s worth. Whining like this just makes us all look childish and unprofessional.

EDIT: Hey, BgDM, you just beat me with that comment :wink: My sentiments exactly.

The reason for that could be how much it evolved, a few years ago the interface I know was horrible and had no raytracing.

It’s not the hammer you use, but the house you build.

The point that the people who bash blender are missing is that people like Andy are out there creating profesional quality images using blender. The program you use doesn’t really make much of a difference today. Let the artwork speak for itself.

Cheers,

Bob