Chains revisited

changed the camera size and adjusted the materials
post pro in photoshop (grain and cloudy texture to volume light)
there’s some banding in the volume light that i can’t seem to be able to lose

http://users.telenet.be/remainsinc/chains600x800.jpg

c&c welcome

greets

Interesting composition, nice colors, and the smoke is good too.
Its too bad you can’t solve the problem with the volumetric light. Maybe you should just redo them?

Are there going to be any more objects in the scene?

Also, is this another hellraiser inspired thing?

This is a WIP? It’s gorgeous!

for the banding you could try to add some dirthering. it’s in the render setting.

It’s, umm, chainy? Very nice, but is it abstract or what? It seems to have too much composition to be abstract, but not enought to be part of a world/enviroment. My $0.02

just a thought, but maybe make the chains differ. it looks like they are the same chain duplicated, maybe have one hanging down in a loop and other differences.\

very nice work though

I looked at the image and thought: how has he achieved that fantastic banding on dhe voluetric light?!? You say it’s a mistake, but I like it more in this way.

thanks for the replies everyone

n33kos - gonna look into that, the hooks still bother me a bit (maybe not quite done with this image then)

JellyWerker - it started out as a composition and lighting test, the world you see is the world that is there :slight_smile:

Gabio - tried that allready, but maybe not enough, I’ll give it another shot. The post pro allready eliminated quite some of the banding…

Duoas - wel more or less done. though as you can read I already got some tips to improve it

Artistotle - the scene is more or less done, nothing added (maybe changed a bit) Yep hellraiser allright, though its purely coincidental that I have 2 hellraiser images at the same time, I do other stuff too :slight_smile:

greets
greets

thanks for the replies everyone

n33kos - gonna look into that, the hooks still bother me a bit (maybe not quite done with this image then)

JellyWerker - it started out as a composition and lighting test, the world you see is the world that is there :slight_smile:

Gabio - tried that allready, but maybe not enough, I’ll give it another shot. The post pro allready eliminated quite some of the banding…

Duoas - wel more or less done. though as you can read I already got some tips to improve it

Artistotle - the scene is more or less done, nothing added (maybe changed a bit) Yep hellraiser allright, though its purely coincidental that I have 2 hellraiser images at the same time, I do other stuff too :slight_smile:

greets
greets

For banding, increase the shadow buffer size, lower halo step down to one, increase samples, make sure your output has a high quality setting. It will increase your render time a lot, but it will look much better. Reminds me of the basement in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Very slick, nice render and cool to see a different aspect ratio on a render.
It fits the scene well.
Well done.

Chimpoid

the dithering makes the banding problem go away, thanks!

edited the hooks a bit

will update pic later