Challenge #1006 "Long shadows" (30/09/22) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1006 for Friday 30th of September 2022 is:

Long shadows

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Oct 3, 2022 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Casting

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

oooh, this is a good one…

abstract experimentation, not sure what I’m gonna do yet

5 Likes

The Movie

Open entry reusing B Movie Poster :: Once Upon a Time in a Small Town (franciscocharrua.com). I’m currently working on the Little Traveler Challenge for CGboost. Hence, the open and lazy entry.

6 Likes

long time ago

open

7 Likes

PURE “long shadow”

Cycles 1024s, volumetric atmosphere and clouds.

8 Likes

Shadow Tower
No Entry, pure, cycles 1024 samples, no denoise, rendertime ~1min, thought as an opposite to a light tower at sea. Used landscape and tree addon, the leaves are just alpha voronoy texture.

long_shadows7.blend (1.8 MB)

5 Likes

First time in ages to take part in the contest.

This is an open entry, used Mixamo for the human character, all the rest is modelled by me.
I wonder if anyone here remembers these guys.

5 Likes

I think I know: The Shadows - moonlight shadow - YouTube

1 Like

Plankton’s Madness

Pure, Eevee

12 Likes

Heavy Metal Moon

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 3.3.0

11 Likes

Yes, that’s them. Great old band.

3 Likes

Open
I used two scenes. One normally lit scene. And the second with a strong light source for the Shadow Catcher.
Blender 2.9.2; Cycles

8 Likes

Sunrise on the Power Platform

Pure, Cycles 1024s, Blender 3.3, 825k triangles

The platform is based on an idea I’ve had for a while but never got around to making it in blender. This challenge gave me the perfect excuse to make it. The platform fits into a yet-to-be-modeled abandoned sky empire, along with the Marketplace and several other structures.

Making the damaged look took a lot of geometry nodes, but I’m quite happy with it. The rubble on the platform is a combination of geometry nodes and the rock generator. The cloud generator is a modified asset from other weekend challenges. The depth-of-field is faked in the compositor. The platform’s material has more detail than shown in the final render.

Wait a minute… Who’s monkeying around with that meteor?!

7 Likes

Trapped

Pure, Cycles, default settings so 4096 samples

Another Dead by Daylight themed submission! There are a couple of details I wish I could’ve spent more time on, but I started a bit late again because of a certain game that I can’t seem to tear myself away from :upside_down_face:

Subdivided cubes, procedural textures. The upside of posting late is I get to look at everything and mash the heart button

Edit:

@Helge I managed to get some time on my lunch break after all since my brother was kind enough to haul our cat off to the vet instead :smiley:

Can I get your input on this?

6 Likes

It took us a little while and some research, to figure out the game. But with the help of my children, we are pretty sure it must be “The Walking Dead”. I never played the game but I watched a few seasons of the series a few years back.
Modeling and texturing all those models and characters must already have taken quite some time. If you find some addition time you could try tweaking the lighting. Unless you went for a game look on purpose, lighting can be a great and relatively fast way to tune up the realism. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hahaha yeah my experience with lighting is pretty minimal, it’s definitely a pretty weak skill of mine. Most of my experience comes from working on mod teams where I just do stand-alone characters and props, hand it off to a level designer, and say “Lighting’s your problem, not mine” :laughing:

Unfortunately I’ll be here at work til 30 minutes before the deadline, so it’ll probably stay like that. I’ll edit it if I get home in time. In any case, I appreciate the input and I’ll make more of a conscious effort to improve my lighting in the future!

1 Like

The three wise stones

Pure entry. Everything made in Blender, only procedural textures.

9 Likes

Here’s my entry, pure cycles - Exploring

Weird thing was - I was hung up on the problem that for some reason, the light died out about where the shoulders’ shadow was. After searching documentation and such for over 3 hours, I could not figure out why. For some reason I extended the floor about 3 times further than the edge of the frame, and suddenly that light distance limitation disappeared (or rather, moved beyond the edge of the frame). I’m not sure why the size of the object should limit how far the light travels to hit it. I couldn’t find any settings or clipping that would dictate this…

10 Likes