Challenge #1021 "Book Cover" (13/01/23) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1021 for Friday 13th of January 2023 is:

Book Cover

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 16, 2023 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: For The Bird

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Message from @Trentle:

“The idea was to create a new cover for an existing book, but it doesn’t have to be. It can be a real book or a made-up one, it can be any genre, it can be based of an existing cover or something new, it can be just the art or it can be rendered on a model of a book.”

2 Likes

My Finest Work

Pure entry, blender 3.4 cycles.

6 Likes

Non-Competing

7 Likes

Pure

2 Likes

Cool theme! Reminds me of the “B-Movie Poster” challenge.
My book is a little bit older. And may not be as well behaved as other books in the library. :wink:

(not an entry)
grafik

Uh, and it still needs a title! The inspiration was the Nencronomicon. But the N. is more “monsterious”, while this grimoire seems to be about soulbinding. or demons.

no time to finish it. sorry.

3 Likes

Hello,
This is my PURE entry “Moby-Dick”.

Cycles 800s. Volumetric clouds and atmosphere. It was quite a challenge for me to make the animal, but I think when learning it is best to just start with modeling sea creatures and painting them.

11 Likes

This challenge reminds me of some of the first models I made, a closed book (great for arraying on a bookshelf) and an open book.

noncompeting, of course

1 Like

Taking Cover

non competing. Cycles, Blender 3.4.1

11 Likes

AD or DA (who knows exactly)

Pure Cycles.

5 Likes

‘‘Escape from the void’’

Pure, (base character is made with human generator addon but I had to modify it a lot). Cycles. Blender 3.3

3 Likes

I have not been working with Blender for that long. Here is my contribution. 100% from scratch (except for the leather texture, which came from Blenderkit) Rendered in cycles. Crits welcome.

7 Likes

I don’t have any great ideas, but here we go…

Classics

Pure, cycles…

6 Likes

Time for voting. Call the bookies!

Some really good ones this week :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Hi Rob, welcome to the challenge! Nice first entry. :slight_smile:

If you still want to keep working on the image, trying to get more visual focus on the book might be worth looking into. E.g. more focused lighting, a different aspect ratio / framing and some DOF blurring of the background/foreground usually have quite some impact (and don’t take too much time. :slight_smile: )

[I know this is nitpicking, but you could also add a black plane inside the locks. That way the ‘belt’ wouldn’t be visible through the keyhole.]

4 Likes

Wonder why nobody takes it literally and used a book for cover :smiley:

Thanks, Helge. I see wha you mean by putting more light on the book. The whole image looks pretty dark. And I did have a black plane in the keyholes. I guess it got lost when I made some last minute adjustments, and I forgot to fix it. I was tired.

1 Like

Sometimes, you just have to call it a day. I usually create my entries between 1 and 4 on Sunday morning (night). So trust me, I know what you are talking about. :wink:

3 Likes