Challenge #1041 "Ethereal" (02/06/23) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1041 for Friday 2nd of June 2023 is:

Ethereal

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jun 5, 2023 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Something

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ethereal

Pure. Blender 3.5.1

6 Likes

Quick concept, nothing in blender yet.
Tentative title: “Sky Kitty”

open, non-competing

2 Likes

Opened Rift (WIP)

The structure is a quaternion-fractal, created using volume within geom nodes. It suffers from the low volume resolution.
The background is created just by two concave mirrors. Might later change it as it provides little contrast. What do you think?

Uh, and there are lighting artefacts (black). Currently no idea how to fix them with that automatically generated geometry. :confused:

5 Likes

It’s a nice piece of abstract art. :slightly_smiling_face:
The low volume resolution adds to it, I think.

One critique I can give is that the framing seems off. The water drop splash bit is not centered and it’s throwing me off.

Non-Competing (Open)

I had a photoscan of a friend’s head that was created with Meshroom from a while back, dropped it in Blender, gave it an emission shader and volume and built everything else around it.

5 Likes

“Opened Rift”

Pure, Blender 3.3.1, Cycles

With the change in perspective you get a better view at and in the rings.

7 Likes

Magical Flight (WIP)

Will post final render when finished.

3 Likes

Ghost Fleet

Non-competing. Reusing ship models from past work (Operation Hourglass and Convoy), background edited from a free pack. Cycles + Gimp.

10 Likes

A Summer Night Dream

Pure entry, made in blender 3.5 Cycles.

4 Likes

Pure. Non-competing. (edit) The cloth sim cache on this nearly crashed my machine.

5 Likes

This reminds me of my 1st ( or maybe second ) WC entry which was a spectral spaceship for the theme “ghost ship”.

1 Like

“Missing: Sky Kitty”

pure, competing

(this is all I have so far)

Should my entry be open if I’m using the Suzanne head?

5 Likes

@Tachtian The change in perspective really makes a difference; it looks much better now. I also like the color choice more in the newer version.

@Modron The sim struggle was worth it. I’m in awe of the realism of this spectre.

2 Likes

Cool! How long has that been… or has it turned into a ‘ghost’ now, lol.

Nice crosshatch ‘shader’ on your ghastly entry, can’t imagine how dense the node jungle in it :grinning:

1 Like

Ethereal Bat

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 3.5.1

From wiktionary.org:
Adjective ethereal: “(organic chemistry) To do with diethyl ether.”

7 Likes

Maybe this one?

“Ghost Ship” has been the theme several times, though - and if I’m not mistaken you have been around for a little longer than #530.

However, #530 might very well have been the first time I entered something in this challenge.

Good times! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Here’s my entry - Moonrise

Pure, except the star background is a photo I downloaded.

7 Likes

Don’t worry. Suzanne is part of Blender, so the entry remains pure. :slight_smile:

2 Likes