Challenge #1066 "Money inside" (24/11/23) Entries CLOSED

“Uh-Oh” - Pure

Inspired by me spending a bit too much in the Blender Market sale. I imagine younger me tearing a coupon out of a magazine and smashing their piggybank to get those sweet, sweet add-ons (in some kind of pre-online 90s world where blender still magically exists).

Background things are from polyhaven - books, game controller, pot plant, and hammer. Everything else is my own work this weekend. I’ve wanted some blender pride pins for a while and I needed things to decorate the shelf with so I used this as an excuse to model and texture a few. The pig is subdivision modelling and vertex painting for the texture. The shelf is procedurally textured and has tiny dust particles scattered on it that are barely visible and probably weren’t worth the effort! lol.

5 Likes

Title: There’s always money in the banana stand, click click
Pure entry. If you’re not familiar with the reference, it’s from the TV show Arrested Development. The owner hid $250,000 in the walls of his Frozen Banana stand shop.

4 Likes

The best democracy money can buy

Pure entry. The dollar bill image was taken from wikipedia, everything else is made in Blender.

I always underestimate how hard it is to make architecture. :S

6 Likes

“There’d Better Be!!!”

Pure.
Skeleton and fire png were downloaded. Everything else was (painstakingly) modeled over the last few days.
Whose stupid idea was it to model 8 characters in such a short time!? Oh, yeah…

11 Likes

Yep, and then shade them to look like 2D cutouts :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

The character shading was probably the easiest part. It’s just the Toon BSDF.

Please direct me to some tutorials about using the toon bsdf node. I searched but only find tuts about making toon shaders.

What? Ohhhh! Never mind.

Non-competing Non-entry

6 Likes

Heart of Gold

Pure

3 Likes

Cast a vote! It’s free! :wink:

I don’t know of any tutorials for it. I just had to figure it out. Sorry.

Here’s my mini tutorial with what little I managed to figure out:
Toon BSDF

“Size” seems to determine at which point the shading kicks in, i.e. how close to the light source the shadow appears. I had mine set to 1, to get as little shadow as possible. (This is for the 7 dwarves’ beards btw).
“Smooth” seems to determine the gradient of the shading. How stepped it is between lit areas and dark areas. So, on my dwarves, you can see I tried to get it as close to a sharp line as possible.
I don’t know much more than that, But here are a few more random bits of knowledge/tips:
Toon BSDF only works in cycles, whilst most other cel shading methods are for Eevee.
You can run textures into the Toon BSDF just as with any other shader node, as well as Bump/Normal information (but takes away from the simple toon style a bit).
You can also switch the Toon BSDF from Diffuse to Glossy, as I did with the puddles in my image.
Hope there’s something useful for you there.

4 Likes

Just noticed that I made a mistake, my entry was pure. Don’t know why I wrote open :joy:

1 Like

I just changed the voting post accordingly.

It probably had something to do with Blender being OPEN Source. That should have been renamed to Pure Source a long time ago, anyways. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you :heart: I didn’t know it was possible to change. But if people are wondering about the late change, I can provide the blend file and my sketch for the idea :slight_smile:

I like the idea of pure source for Blender :wink:

1 Like

I can’t change the actual poll, but I can change the rest of the post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

What gives the dwarfs their “rosy cheeks”? Is that purely from the toon node?

(Alright spelling checker. I’ll spell “dwarves” as “dwarfs”.)

I very quickly texture painted their skin. But then, yes, the image texture node runs straight into the Toon node.

1 Like