Challenge #1090 "Concrete Evidence" (10/05/24) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1090 for Friday 10th of May 2024 is:

Concrete Evidence

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, May 13, 2024 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Hard Facts

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Interesting, the words I used to describe @Trentle’s entry for the dystopian city challenge :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a idea that I don’t have the skills to execute, so my entry might be a bit cursed this week lol.

Update:

Yeah this is why I don’t make humans or animals. I’m just going to embrace the jank and see what happens…

5 Likes

I have one suitable idea but not much free time and it would be gory and might need a n s f w tag, I would spend too much time on textures for the gore, and it would be open with several external resources.

Update: Yeah too little time. Drawing from my Truman Show light in the middle of an open field and the Pompeii body where it seems a big rock smashed him into the ground. The plan was to have a body in a large field with it’s head smashed by a piece of concrete. The title like a coroner report and reflecting the mystery of concrete from an open sky: Cause of Death: Massive head trauma, Manner of Death: Unknown.

1 Like

Archeological Discovery

Blender 4.1 cycles pure entry. Based on the idea that the pyramid blocks may have been made out of some kind of concrete.

4 Likes

Sandstone evidence of the existence of aliens?

1 Like

Question, does a model count as new if it has non-new materials?

Actually, that has never been specified in detail. Usually it should be fine. However, if it were the most complex material in the history of Blender, the most important part of the image and the sole reason for everyone to vote and shout: “Wow! How did he do that in such a short amount of time?” - making the entry ‘open’ might be the better option. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Makes sense, thanks!

My blend file got mess up and it now takes 5 minute to switch from object to edit mode. I am I crazy or is 400k tris more than I thought?

1 Like

One more question, I was reading the challenge rules and saw the .jpeg file size requirements, and I was wondering if this was still the case, given that it sounds like 2002 technological limitations, or if we’re free to use larger pngs, for example

1 Like

It’s not the case anymore, I believe there is a 5 megabyte limit though.

2 Likes

Ok, great, thanks!

Title: Smoking Gun
Pure

I spent the most time working on the compositing, plus a bit on modelling and lighting :smiley:
The concrete and metal materials are modified from BlenderKit

7 Likes

Guilty

Open- Poster made in Krita, Floor from Blenderkit.

I tried to model a dog and this is what I got after 3 hours.
(Ignore the leg from a model I downloaded in the background)

At that point Blender crashed (or froze for at least 5 minutes) 7 times, probably because I don’t know how to use the geometry nodes hair system. :joy:
Enjoy the png of my dog instead lol.

11 Likes

Is 400k tris a lot? Depends on your hardware. But I guess it’s definitely getting up there. I’ve got a pretty good MSI laptop and it starts to slow down at about a million.

1 Like

Title: “Self infwicted, you say?”

Pure.

Details

Again, no time to make a video for my channel this week, so just made a time-lapse of this…
https://youtu.be/neI32Al2Q6M

13 Likes

Noncompete

4 Likes

Like Peter said, depending on the hardware, that could be a problem. However, it would have to be quite old to give up at 400k. If I had to guess, I’d expect something else to be the real issue here. E.g. Modifiers can cause this as 400k with a Multires or Subdiv modifier could skyrocket the polycount with ease. And of course, particle systems can be really heavy, too.

2 Likes