Challenge #516 (05/03/13) Entries CLOSED

Theme #516 for May 03 2013 is: Void

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday May 06 2013.

Non-competing entry:

Oooooooooooohhhhhhhh

Quick throw down! :stuck_out_tongue:

My entry, for now:

Pure

What I learned this week: Particle Systems are picky!

I updated the picture with a better particle system, but the higher sample/resolution image is still rendering. Maybe it will be done by the end of the contest…

I hope to get a void ray from starcraft 2 done in time for the contest. Basic blockout and some retopology done. Going to finish on retopology, skin it, and add some post render affects. Wish me luck.

Cyjax, i love the render. Please share the material and light setup. I have an awesome idea for an intro video.

I decided to give cycles a try, my first attempt at texturing, lighting and rendering in cycles.
Pure

My final render

Attachments

Exanimis, i think there is great potential for this picture and you still have 2 days.
try adding volumetric lighting from a blender internal scene to your cycles scene.
You can find a tutorial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuzDtirK2qk

Hi, community! Well, my first contest entry on this forum…

Void Crystals
Background nebula drawn from scratch in GIMP, all foreground quickly modelled in Blender.

Does the background image count when determining a Pure/Open entry?

Void of space ,
I again try Blender internal render after long time, and i think its dont look bad :).

Evenstar, why do you have to be soo good.

Macktruck6666, thanks for the suggestion and the link, I’ve spent a few hours with that tutorial and am rendering the result now. My resolution is set to 100% with a sample setting of 400 but my render stills seems fuzzy and pixilated to me, I don’t know how people get such clear renders. I guess my old PC is just too slow for cycles.

Edit:
I have to agree, Evenstar does have an abundance of talent.

Thank you guys.

Heres my entry. Sorry about the quality but my computers not the best and I have to go to school so the samples were set to 500.

Exanimis, ya clear renders usually take over a thousand passes. Here is a tip to save you some time. If your compositing cycles scenes with other scenes. It’s sometimes good to save the cycles scene as an image and composite using a image node instead of the renderlayer node. This allows you to make quick changes to the Blender Internal scene without having to rerender the cycles scene each time. I always save the cycle renders with the transperency option on so the background is alpha. It allows for more options. Here is a link to an example I did: http://macktruck6666.deviantart.com/art/Soul-on-Fire-328234414?q=gallery%3Amacktruck6666&qo=3
The eye is rendered in cycles but the flame took allot of tinkering in Blender Internal. So… I save the cycles render as an image and used it to composite witht he blender internal render.

It’s also possible to composite multiple different renders of a cycles scene to make the image clearer. So… if you only have time to do a couple hundred passes each day, you can combine each render to get an even better render.

Nice work Evenstar.

Here’s my entry.

I wish it could be better but oh well.

Only got a couple minutes on Saturday to work on this, so it ain’t very good. I wish I could have had more time. I was hoping to make the river, beat up the bridge some, and maybe add a character as well as improving everything :wink:
Into the Void

I didn’t expect to have to work today. so i didn’t have time to finsih it. Made entirely inside blender.

graphicblues, i love mincraft art. check out my youtube and deviant art pages. I got some minecraft inspired art on there. Minecraft really breaks the rules with art, so go crazy with it.