Challenge #526 (07/12/13) Entries CLOSED

Theme #526 for July 12 2013 is: Paradox

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday July 15 2013.

What? My Gosh! How could we illustrate such an abstract subject?

M.C. Escher has plenty of good examples. There’s also lots of ways to approach it with more literal sci-fi too.

Shhhh. Don’t give them ideas. ;)I already started my stairway to nowhere.

I believe paradox not only refers to a litterary device, but a style of illusion. The never ending stairway is an example. M.C. Escher’s endless stairs seems that they never end, but you could never find this in real life.

Work in progress!
You don’t know how difficult is to make this sort of things in 3D; basically, you are trying to create something that is impossible to be created.

Attachments

Now if you are able to correctly shade it, that would be really cool. Is this using the new render options? You might find it easier making shapes in different scenes. Using the correct layers to mask each other by using an alpha over node will give you the same result and will allow you to texture and shade it.

Edit: forgot to mention, have to have RGBA or transparency enabled depending on the rendering engine being used.

it’s not impossible, i think you just have to mess with the angles, so that they line up from the view, but nowhere else.

The orthogonal camera makes illusions like that a fair bit easier, no need to worry about perspective and distance.

Well i think i choose the wrong thing to do.
Someone should take Esher’s cube, triangle, and put them both on a desk with a miniature endless waterfall in the middle. :stuck_out_tongue:

This week i will stop wasting time staring at my entry wondering how to make it better, and finish up some of my other personal projects.

Pure entry:

I’m beat for an idea. :confused:

I’m not going to be able to finish. I’m getting to sidetracked.

I remember this from when I used to model cars a lot.

http://i39.tinypic.com/9lkfnt.gif

You can create a robot that is hanging itself from a tree while watering the tree…
Or maybe two flowers, one artificial and the other natural and a hand that is watering the artificial one while the other one is dying…
There are lots of possibilities for this subject…(it’s a great subject for creativity)you shouldn’t stick with perspective…

Don’t have the time this week, but I think I’ve seen a cartoon of a chicken checking out an egg, aka, which came first? The of course, there’s out of the frypan into the fire, which would be best. Any Hobson’s choice scenarios would be good. (Okay, let me rephrase this, not Hobson’s choice [as Wiki has just told me], a dilemma would be a better choice of word)

I can’t think of anything that isn’t fanart and I don’t want to make fanart right now :confused:
In other words I got nothing

I decided to go with a pun of the word.

Attachments

The Möbius strip or Möbius band

This is my entry :slight_smile:

“Invisible Photographer”
Pure. Cycles.

This concept has been done a lot. I saw another one in a BA thread a few month ago. This is my take on it.

Ah. that was my first idea, but my attempt completely failed.