Challenge #609 (20/2/15) Entries CLOSED

well YAYA did that last week :confused: sorry but i was just not happy with my first oneā€¦

and @umii, it was fun. untill i had to do the twisted part. i swear that could define frustration ._.

I believe you are in error Photox.

Quoted from the WEC rules

"Only one entry per person is allowed. If multiple images are submitted, only the most recent will be used for voting. When updating an entry, please give it a new file name, so avoid confusion with older cached images.

My interpretation is that finalbarrageā€™s entry is allowable as it would be the most recent entry. Of course it is up to rarebit to make the call.

I didnā€™t want to just copy one of Escherā€™s patterns and I honestly tried to make a tessellated pattern in an Escher style but kept failing so I was unable to come up an entry myself. I should have bailed out and just did a perspective scene like finalbarrage.

Dude, I was completely joking!

Rude! :slight_smile:

My mistake then. I completely misunderstood your post. My apologies.

no need to apologies :slight_smile: he didnt use sarcasm so :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My first entry in over two years. Unfortunately, this is all I had time for. Its an open entry for obvious reasons and also because the hand was pulled from Blendswap (DennisH2010ā€™s Rigged Hand).

Title: Finally holding the reflective sphere myself

So this image has a lot of personal significance for me. I always liked Escherā€™s ā€œHand with Reflecting Sphereā€ image, but more than that, an animation I saw when I was a kid 25 years ago inspired me a lot to become involved in 3D and until now Iā€™ve never tried to reproduce it. It was from the old Mindā€™s Eye video from 1990. Near the end of that video there is specifically this amazing animation of a ā€œreal personā€ lifting up a sphere who is seemly sitting in an office but holding it up in front of the ocean. To this day I still donā€™t understand how this animation was created and have been unable to reproduce the effect in Blender. I understand that the ocean and the image in the reflection are both videos, but these apparently were mapped to each other in 3D space with his hand in such a way that its seamless. It was apparently created in 1987 by a 3D production studio that still exists (Rezn8) and specializes in 3D animation. In 1987 texture mapping wasnā€™t very common in 3D computer graphics and photo realistic people were perhaps impossible even in high end stuff. So what technique was used? Iā€™ve recently taken up a quest of finally trying to figure out how they created this animation. Any ideas?

For my own image I tried several techniques including a world texture and normal image texture mapped in different ways, but ended up going with an environmental texture for the sphereā€™s material node and adding that to a glossy texture so that it would reflect the hand object as well. But the resulting reflection still isnā€™t as accurate as it should be. Perhaps the fact that the original animation would have had a budget of $50,000+ makes the difference in how far youā€™re willing to go for an effect.

Thank you, Umii!

RobertT