Challenge #737 Voting CLOSED

@RobertT Thanks for your regular comments,but I did not understand the meaning of the word yoda-ish))

There’s so many fantastic entries here, I can’t believe I have 12 votes. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :hug:

But, in case I would win, how will the deciding of the next theme work? Via PM?

That’s correct. If things stay the way they are (and I’d be surprised if they didn’t) I’ll send a PM in a few hours (~23GMT). :slight_smile:

Ok. I happen to be traveling away in a few hours, and I’m not sure if I will have internet then. So just to be on the safe side, could I PM a theme now (in case I would win)?

Sure, just send me a PM. This could speed things up tonight and we may even have an early start for the next round this way. :slight_smile:

str11: Yoda (from Star Wars) said a lot of things with words in reverse, and, when I was writing my reply to your entry, notice, I did, that doing that I was =)

YAFU: Oh, I miss it dearly already in so many ways :slight_smile: I just bought a new GPU for my main PC just for Cycles, and I’m hoping that will bridge the wide speed gap I’m currently experiencing between Internal and Cycle (seconds to minutes vs. hours). So many other gaps I must learn to fill. I’ve conducted dozens of Cycles experiments so far, many procedural-based, and, piece by piece, I’m trying to find correlations between the way I would do things in Internal vs. how I might achieve similar techniques in Cycles. So far I’ve managed to come up with some interesting possibilities. I did finally manage to get a working Ambient Occlusion Multiply node setup =) I’m also trying, on and off, to convert some recent projects to Cycles, such as my Cygnus Ascension weekend project. I might open up a new thread about all this elsewhere in the forum if I get the time. More to come.

edit - addendum

I should point out that, in no way, am I done with Blender Internal. Even if somehow it’s removed in 2.8 and not completely reborn in some manner in Eevee, I will still use it in whatever last version is available, because, even in my limited experiences with Cycle, I already have some new appreciation for how accessibly and immediately Blender Internal could always handily accommodate my admittedly strange material/render concoctions. Plus Blender Internal handled complex non-PBR materials, along with a wide range of procedural textures, natively and quickly even on a modest PC setup without a discrete card or CUDA-capable GPU.

Above all, the thing I see more clearly now is that Blender Internal (as is or via Eevee) and Cycles could (and I feel should) continue to coexist as they can serve different artistic and technical/render requirements/solutions.

That said, for the Weekend Challenges, I will endeavor to use mostly or exclusively Cycles, primarily as a means to learn more about it and gain some proficiency or even, eventually, some advantages, such as with microdisplacement.

RobertT

@Miatpi:
Thanks for the feedback! The flash drive is actually a last minute idea, to show a discrepancy in ‘size’. And yes, I sometimes struggling with lighting… lol. Anyway, seems like we have a winner already. Early congrats then!

@RobertT:
Thank you too on the feedback. As stated, it was based on the real-life one. Had been having another idea before but then the memory clicked.

Btw, I was once using BI too the first time I learned Blender (while Cycles was already around for some time). Were it not because of the need to model some lighting scenes that would become too much work to ‘fake’ it in BI I may would never converted into Cyclism. Back then I really wished that Blender would automatically convert any BI material neatly to Cycles version, but instead it ‘destroyed’ them mostly, lol… True, it was a lot of work. Feels heavy at first, but slowly became fun in learning the process. Anyway, we’ll be waiting to see any ‘inovations’ you’ll made in Cycles (and might be also Eevee). :slight_smile:

@Helge:
Seems like the separator lines are already working. Thumbs up!

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 737 with 27.27% of the votes is… Miatpi!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Fulip : 6 : 13.64%
3dnotguru : 5 : 11.36%
purbosky : 3 : 6.82%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
kr4st : 0 : 0%
YAFU : 3 : 6.82%
polyboy : 6 : 13.64%
caz747 : 4 : 9.09%
fdo : 3 : 6.82%
RayVelcoro : 1 : 2.27%
str11 : 0 : 0%
Miatpi : 12 : 27.27%
Aki049 : 1 : 2.27%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=494092&stc=1&thumb=1
Steam balloon

Congrats Miatpi!

Congrats Maitpi, lovely render.

Thanks, RobertT, for the comments, it’s always nice to hear them.

Cool! Surely a good way to learn more about Cycles.

Anyway, Blender render will be available for a long time in 2.79. And unless Blender 2.79 stops having support on some new OS you use, you can use Blender Render for years.

Thanks, YAFU!

I do hope Internal lives on indefinitely in some form, or experiences some Blender universe sort of digital reincarnation…

On another note, I just noticed something:

the top banner is still featuring the previous WC.

But, then again I’m not sure when it’s updated (maybe Monday?).

Congratulations, Miatpi!

RobertT

Great job everyone. Sorry I was a little late this week with updating the feature row. :slight_smile: