Challenge #740 Voting CLOSED

Guys I am new to Blender so I only just started a couple weeks ago but have really loved every minute of it. I’ve stopped watching TV and just watch Blender tutorials now and have spent the better part of every night glued to modeling. So yea, I forgot about this site and really wanted to do a contest, well the other day I thought oh let me see if a contest is going on and I seen it was for castles! I was hyped, but it was already Monday and for some reason I thought I had until today to submit an image. So I spent the past two days trying to make this darn thing and now I realize I missed submissions on Monday… Oh well, hopefully I will be able to do the one coming up. I’m still going to post my image because I’m shallow, so don’t hate :slight_smile:

@robproctor83: Welcome to the challenge! Sorry to hear about the deadline mixup.
That really would have been a nice entry. You seem to be picking up blender very fast - I’m curious what you will be coming up with next time. :slight_smile:
Keep having fun!

robproctor83: I’m so sorry to hear of the deadline mixup, especially for such an amazing piece of art. I’m very thankfull for you sharing it and look foreward to see more of you. :slight_smile:

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 740 with 23.91% of the votes is… Miatpi!
Here’s to all the great participators…

Chavis : 0 : 0%
3dnotguru : 0 : 0%
LeoBlenderToon : 2 : 4.35%
purbosky : 2 : 4.35%
FlyingBanana : 0 : 0%
Millani : 2 : 4.35%
DigitalDemon : 2 : 4.35%
kate_all : 1 : 2.17%
Unicornaphobist : 1 : 2.17%
joshwinkler3d : 1 : 2.17%
didierv : 0 : 0%
benla : 3 : 6.52%
RayVelcoro : 1 : 2.17%
g60 : 2 : 4.35%
Photox : 0 : 0%
texasfunk101 : 5 : 10.87%
fcharr : 0 : 0%
Roken : 0 : 0%
usernew : 1 : 2.17%
Fulip : 1 : 2.17%
kr4st : 0 : 0%
SonnySee : 1 : 2.17%
str11 : 6 : 13.04%
YAFU : 3 : 6.52%
Miatpi : 11 : 23.91%
caz747 : 1 : 2.17%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=496531&stc=1&thumb=1
In time

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate it, and congrats to Miatpi! Looks like it’s really worth the effort to catch the deadline! :wink:

Speaking about deadline, perhaps it will be helpful to set up some kind of online countdown timer to better help us ‘interpret’ the submission closing date… just an idea though.

@Miatpi and @RobertT thanks for the feedback and taking the time to do so. My entry got a laugh and a vote so I’m happy with that. I maybe could have thrown a bit more light in there.

Miatpi, well done on getting the winning entry and getting it in there in time. Plenty of great entries in this one.

@purbosky Just made this and still testing but maybe something like this?

@joshwinkler3d: my antivirus went nuts when I clicked your link.

edit: this happened me once, during an interview, turns out Plesk had a bug that allowed malware to inject JavaScript into my pages. Try looking at the source code of your pages. This might be the case.

edit 2: it’s probably a false positive. I checked and didn’t see any bad JavaScript.

@fcharr There’s a first for everything, maybe getting my SSL sorted may fix that. Nothing malicious in it though.

[Edit] Virus Total lists it as safe, the exception being Kaspersky due to it not being https

[Edit] Would have made for an interesting interview, my hosting isn’t run through Plesk so I don’t think that particular bug exists. It is all pretty simple code, thanks for having a look.

Congratulations to Miatpi for winning, and to everyone for the good entries.

@robproctor83: Wow, that’s pretty good. Did you use other 3D software before? Or, at least, other forms of art? I’m looking forward for your entry next time.

Congrats, Miatpi, on the win, and thanks for the comments and feedback. You’re right about me using a noise texture for the clouds. The node setup for the clouds is from a tutorial I saw, it works pretty well for a night sky but like you say there is a lack of depth to the clouds. Well spotted on the cathedral look to my image, I used a few images of cathedrals for reference, I was aiming for a steel sci-fi castle look though.

Thanks, Millani, for the comments, they’re much appreciated. I’m glad the spooky, ominous look of the castle came through, it’s something I hoped would show through. The little human figure needs more work, especially the clothes but they are something I need to practice more, hopefully next time I can come up with nice Gothic style dark robe.

Cheers, RobertT. The little human figure is there to give a sense of scale to the castle. I’m glad the camera angle worked. I like to see images from a slightly odd angle as I think it can add a lot of drama to an image.

Great to see so many cool entries this week. This is never going to be an easy contest to win, but each week I take part I learn so much.

Thanks for all the advice guys!